Building C# Cocoa Apps Without Fire on OSX

Is it possible to compile C# cocoa apps on OSX outside of the Fire IDE? I’d really like to use a more mature IDE like Xamarin Studio or something from JetBrains like CLion or Intellij.

I’m pretty certain you can compile RO C# apps outside of Fire as there is a command line compiler and you could run it under mono outside of Fire.

As for using a different IDE the problem is you would lose code completion etc if you were to use a different IDE. Xamarin Studio is set up to use the Xamarin toolset and the Jetbrains IDEs are for completely different languages altogether. Without CC you may as well use Sublime or similar text editor.

i’d prefer if you could could let us know (in the Fire beta group) what features and functionality you are missing, so that we can make Fire better.

That said, whatever shortcomings Fire has (and it’s pre-1.0, it has many), i’m sur ether using a different IDE that doesn’t know anything about the elements compiler and thus will give you no CC, no compiling, and no IDE smarts relating to the code at all, will be even rougher?

Sure. if you install Mono 3.x and the the external compiler from the zip that ships in the Fir beta distro, you can build an elements project from the command line using xbuild /path/to/solution.sln.

yours,
marc

Thanks for the quick replies! I’ll contribute feedback for Fire IDE in that forum. There’s probably only a handful of functionality missing (for my use cases) that would make it feel a lot less foreign.

Great. that’d be much appreciated.