Does format in IDE allow user customization?

I see that there is now a Format Document and Selection menu item. Is it possible to do user customization of the format? I’d love to be able to automatically reformat my file, but I don’t like how the current formatter does it.

Not currently, what differences are you looking for?

LOTS :smile:

I like to use hanging indents for what I think is better readability. From back in my PL/I days of Structured Programming Facility in the 1970s where all this sort of stuff was already done and we are figuring it all out again. :smile:

For instance, I prefer something like:

namespace Guardian.EditObservation.Views;

interface

uses
      System,
      System.Collections.Generic, 
      System.Windows,
      System.Windows.Data,
      System.ComponentModel,
      System.Threading,
      System.Windows.Input,
      System.Windows.Controls,
      System.Windows.Threading;

// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   // unfortunately, this does okay, but when something like "my test" is wanted to be located, as soon as the space bar is pressed, the listbox drops down.
   // leaving it that way for now.  In future, if we can ever get to SL 5, the combobox has this feature of list search built in.
   // ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   type
      GeneralInfoView = public partial class(System.Windows.Controls.UserControl)
         private
            method ShowCategory1Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowCategory2Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowCategory3Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowCategory4Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowCategory5Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowCategory6Combobox_Click( sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
            method ShowObserverCombobox_Click(  sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs );
         private
            method worker_RunWorkerCompleted( sender: Object; e: RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs );
            method PopulateChoices(           sender: Object; e: DoWorkEventArgs             );
         private
            currentCombo      : ComboBox;
            currentKeystrokes : string;
            backPressed       : boolean;
            locatingSelection : boolean;
            method LocateSelection;
            method Combo_SelectionChanged(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.Controls.SelectionChangedEventArgs);

private
            method DropDownToggle_Click(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
            method AutoCompleteBox_Populating(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.Controls.PopulatingEventArgs);
         private
            method Title_TextChanged(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.Controls.TextChangedEventArgs);
         private
            method GetFocusControl: Control;
         private
            method GeneralInfoView_KeyUp(   sender: Object; e: KeyEventArgs );
            method GeneralInfoView_Loaded(  sender: Object; e: RoutedEventArgs    );
         public
            constructor;
            property FocusControl : Control read GetFocusControl; 
         end;

implementation

uses
      System.Collections,
      System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations,
      System.Globalization,
      System.Windows.Media,
      System.Linq,
      Guardian.Categories,
      Guardian.Controls,
      Guardian.EditObservation.DataContracts, 
      Guardian.EditObservation.Dialogs, 
      Guardian.EditObservation.ViewModels,
      Guardian.EditObservation.ViewModels.Classes, 
      Guardian.ValidationErrors;

constructor GeneralInfoView; 
      begin
      try
         Guardian.Classes.GlobalResources.AddLocalization;

Guardian.Classes.GlobalResources.ResourceList.Add( '/GlobalResources;component/Assets/ViewResources.xaml'         );

Guardian.Classes.GlobalResources.LoadResources;
      except
         on e:Exception do begin
            raise new Exception( 'Failure during Resource loading' + Environment.NewLine + 'message:' + e.Message + Environment.NewLine + 'stacktrace:' + e:StackTrace + Environment.NewLine + 'innerexception:' + e:InnerException );
            end;
         end;

InitializeComponent;

Loaded += GeneralInfoView_Loaded;  // mlt probably needs an unloaded to unhook the Loaded event
      end;

I like the begin and end to line up, generally, but the important part is the indent, not the syntax. The compiler will figure out the syntax. So, all lines of a block are indented the same. I once read a name for this style in some other system where you could choose the style you wanted for the format, but unfortunately, I don’t remember what they called it.

I also like vertical white space between most blocks. One of the annoying things that happens, though I have tried it yet in this new to me environment, is that when I create a new procedure and put in the “begin”, the editor puts in a blank line followed by the “end”. And that is good as far as it goes, but that “end” is usually put just above the procedure that followed it instead of maintaining the blank line before the next procedure.

Also like the “uses” statement indented under the “Interface” or “Implementation” statements. And then I like all the uses namespaces to be indented under the “uses”. Every time I write some code that automatically puts the namespace in (which I like a LOT), it does maintain the indent level of all the others in the “uses” statement so I have to go neaten that up every now and then.

etc.

FWIW, the old SPF had a way where you easily exclude from view all the lines in a block. A block could be a begin…end or a program or a method. But once it was excluded, it was represented by a single line of dashes. Then the cool part was you could do a “show 10”, for instance, and it would show the first 10 lines at outer most indent level and keep all the details of the “sub indented” lines still as dashed lines. This made it very easy to see the overview at the level you were interested without pulling out syntactical candy and statements that were at a further level of indentation.

You’d probably have to see it in action to appreciate it, but it is something I have missed for a LONG, LONG time in the various editors I’ve used since.