Is control-clicking just not a thing in Oxygene/VS?

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong (have something setup wrong), am running into a bug or I’m just hoping for a feature that doesn’t exist.

In Delphi, you can control-click on method names, properties or variables to be taken to the declaration (or if you’re already in the declaration, to be taken to the implementation).

Is this just something that you lose moving to Oxygene from Delphi? Is it a VS limitation or is it an Oxygene one (meaning it could eventually be implemented)? I’m finding it a little bit of a time sink.

Edit: I heavily edited this post once I figured out you had to use Go to Definition/Go to Type Definition in addition to Go to Implementation/Go to Interface. Unfortunately, the new software has no provision for striking out text to make these edits obvious. In any case, I still miss the ease of ctrl-click on Delphi. Barring the occasional Delphi bugs, it “just works”, figuring out if you meant to do one of those four menu items. Right now, not only do I have to right-click and mouse over to a menu item, I have to figure out which one of those four things I really mean. It’s just much clunkier.

Goto Definition context command done some part of job (F12 as default). But how to put this command to control-click i did not know.

I’m not just asking how to put just each of the four to a keystroke, though. I’m asking the it to act more like Delphi (and JetBrains’ Webstorm and probably IDEA) where it intelligently figures out what you want.

No, it’s not something that VS provides for us. It’s possible to do it, and i remember it being something I really missed when switching from Delphi. I’ve logged it as a feature request 64995: Implement ctrl-click to goto definition.

+1 voice for this feature! Ctrl+Click is cool for browsing source code. I can just remeber that VS already have “Back” button to support “browser-like” navigation, but click feature will be cool!

1 Like

I still yearn for this feature.

Maybe Fire can get this feature! @mh

Cmd-click works in Fire. Also try cmd-d and cmd-option-d…

@Marc - Please bring your mojo over to Elements!

Fire is Elements. You mean VS? If so, no, not touching our integration with that that with a ten foot pole. But we do have recently expanded the VS team as well.

Yeah, I forgot that Elements wasn’t the VS-specific product.

Anyway, even if you don’t code it, you can still geek-shame them. I mean, you added that feature ALL BY YOURSELF. Probably only took you five minutes. While watching Futurama. Other nerdy things.

@mh What do you mean, not touching VS with a ten foot pole? Is VS still currently your primary IDE for Oxygene? Your comment makes me nervous…

He’s talking about not touching the CODE for the integration with VS. He’s not on that project team.

@jpierce No worries, I just get nervous when I see ‘Chief Architect’ using words like 'not touching …'
If VS gets left in the dust because of a new focus on Fire then I’m going to be less than pleased.

Dennis,

as Jason explained, i was referring to working on the VS integration. that’s not my code base, i know nothing about it, and you don’t want me touching it :wink:

As ironic as it may seem, iots often harder to add something into an existing IDE such as VS, where we need to work within their framework, than doing it fully from scratch in our own app :wink: