Is there any restriction of number of datasets or commands per a service?

Hello.

I’ve had a serveice consists of about 300 datasets and commands.
And I’m trying to add 200 more dataset at that service.

Would this be ok? or Do I have to seperate the service?

Is there recommendation about the proper number of datasets and commans per service?

Could you specify which platform (Delphi, .NET) is used?

In general, a big schemas are supported, but I can recommend to split service with very big schema to several ones with logical division: e.g. different departments should use different services: logistic department should have no access to account deparment service, etc

also, in case of Delphi, whole schema is stored in _impl.dfm. so creating of service might be slower than in service with small schema.

My platform is Delphi

Thanks for advice ^^

Hello

We are soon going to migrate our existing RODA Delphi application to RODA.NET. We will also have this scale of datasets and commands.

also, in case of Delphi, whole schema is stored in _impl.dfm. so creating of service might be slower than in service with small schema

Will the creating of service be slower in .NET also? It would be very useful for us to know this before we start to migrate RODA server.

Kind regards.

We are also looking at doing this. Are there any documents already written to help or should it be straightforward in theory?

Hello

In general, service schema is deserialized from its xml form once on application startup, so there is absolutely no performance hit at runtime regarding to the data service instantiation.

Data access performance also shouldn’t be affected - while it would take more time to find the objects in the schema while serving the request, this time is completely insignificant compared to the possible network delays, database access etc.

Hello

It heavily depends on what code you have in your Delphi-based server. F.e. in case the data service doesn’t contain any custom code migrating to .NET will be as simple as:

1. Prepare the Schema to migration:
  2. Copy the .daSchema and .daConnection files to other location
  3. Open them using Schema Modeler
  4. Edit the connection strings - they should use .NET drivers, not Delphi ones.
  5. Create a new .NET server app using Wizard (use the sample database connection)
  6. Replace the .daSchema and .daConnection files in the server app project folder with ones created on the previous step

At this point the app should be able to run and to server data requests. Further steps would require migrating authentication logic to .NET, additional functionality migration etc.

Our support team will be happy to help you with any issues in case they arise.

Thanks Anton. That looks straightforward, it’s all the custom code that will need switching to Oxygene that’ll probably take the time mind you…