Oxygene Samples

Are you interested in additions to the samples?

I think it would be interesting to extend the Events-Sample, how to use anonymous methods

dummy.OnSetName += method(s: SimpleClassWithEvents; var aNewName: string)
                     begin
                       MessageBox.Show('Anonymous method: '+aNewName);
                     end;

var ev : OnSetNameDelegate := method(s: SimpleClassWithEvents; var aNewName: string)
                     begin
                       MessageBox.Show('Anonymous method with var: '+ aNewName);
                     end;
  dummy.OnSetName += ev;

Yes. Good samples, and using anonymous methods is not 100% trivial. Good addition to wiki!

I’ve been trying to learn Oxygene for a while now (got the trial version at moment) and as I come from a pure Delphi background it’s been an uphill struggle. One of the things I got stuck on was events and I still do not really understand them that much, they are so different than Delphi’s way of doing things.

Any extra samples to assist in this would be beneficial to others I believe :smile:

Thanks, logged as bugs://67657: Oxygene Samples

You can use events in the same (or similar) manner as in Delphi, it’s not necessary to use the event reserved word and += if you have a problem with that:

type
  SomeEvent = public delegate;
  SomeEventWithSender = public delegate(aSender : SomeEventClass);

SomeEventClass = public class
  private
    method TriggerEvents;
  public
    //No need to use FOnEvent1 and FOnEvent2 as in Delphi
    property OnEvent1 : SomeEvent;
    property OnEvent2 : SomeEventWithSender;
  end;

SomeClass = public class
  public
    constructor(anEventClass : SomeEventClass);
  end;

implementation

method SomeEventClass.TriggerEvents;
begin
  if assigned(self.OnEvent1) then
    self.OnEvent1();
  if assigned(self.OnEvent2) then
    self.OnEvent2(self);
end;

constructor SomeClass(anEventClass : SomeEventClass);
begin
  inherited constructor;
  //You can also use regular methods instead of anonymous methods
  anEventClass.OnEvent1 :=
    method
    begin
    end;
  anEventClass.OnEvent2 :=
    method(aSender : SomeEventClass)
    begin
    end; 
end;

Wow, that’s just crazy lol.
I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the whole delegate.

At moment I’ve been using events likes this :-

[code]
Private
fComplete: EventHandler;

Public
event URLSComplete: EventHandler delegate fComplete; [/code]

Doing it the way you suggested is much simpler and easier to understand :smile:

btw: On a seperate note, how did you wrap your code in that block?
I’ve tried [ code ] but it displays as above and not greyed like yours.

Select the code you want to format and click </> button on the toolbar.

About delegates - the way I suggested it will only make it possible to have one event handler per event. AFAIK using event reserved word and += assignment makes it possible to have multiple handlers per event. But so far I never had the need to use it that way.

Thanks for that.

Yea, it is very rare that I need need multi-cast events, so it is nice to know that I can use the normal Delphi route for standard events and then when / if I need multi-cast events then I can use the event keyword and the += to add more

Sorry for late reply but been trying to get this solved.
How do I do the above as part of an object instead of a anonymous method ? Everytime I try it says that the method requires 0 parameters. I’ve tried defining the method under the implementation (like in Delphi) but then it says Globals are not switched on

Sounds like a bug in the compiler. I almost exclusively use anonymous methods for quite some time, but I’ll try this in a few hours when I’m back from a trip. If it doesn’t work I’ll send a bug report to RO.

Anonymous methods, I’ve found, are brilliant for small snippets of code. For example updating a user interface, switching on things etc. Not so good when the method requires doing a lot (as in a lot of code) because it then starts to look convoluated IMHO.

At moment I am just using them for updating so it’s not so much a headache, but that could change. Would definately appreciate a second view on this :wink:

Regards
Anthoni

Hello Anthoni.

How do I do the above as part of an object instead of a anonymous method ? Everytime I try it says that the method requires 0 parameters. I’ve tried defining the method under the implementation (like in Delphi) but then it says Globals are not switched on

Could you provide a testcase or code snippet you are using?

Thanks in advance

Where do I send it to, or do I just attach to here ?

attach it here please

You can send it to support@remobjects.com.

anthoni,

This is NOT the best example, but I just whipped it up while waiting for some Windows Updates on my work box. At least it shows how to declare a named method on an object that can be notified when an event occurs:

namespace WPFApplication12;

interface

type
      MyDelegate = public delegate (Sender: Object; Args: EventArgs);

MyObject = public class
         public
            method MyMethod( sender : Object; Args : EventArgs );
         end;

Window1 = public partial class(System.Windows.Window)
         private
            method Button_Click(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
            method UnHook_Click(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
            x : MyObject;
         public
            constructor;
            event MyEvent : MyDelegate;
         end;

implementation

uses 
      System.Windows;

method MyObject.MyMethod(sender: Object; Args: EventArgs);
      begin
      MessageBox.Show( 'hello' );
      end;

constructor Window1;
      begin
      InitializeComponent();
      x       := new MyObject;
      MyEvent += x.MyMethod;
      end;

method Window1.Button_Click(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
      begin
      if assigned( MyEvent ) then MyEvent( self, nil );
      end;

method Window1.UnHook_Click(sender: System.Object; e: System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs);
      begin
      MyEvent -= x.MyMethod;
      end;

end.

Clicking on the button that triggers the Button_Click method call then causes the MyObject instance to say ‘hello’.

After clicking on the button that triggers the UnHook_Click method, MyObject is no longer listening and won’t say ‘hello’ again.

I added this unhook (to my original post) because without undoing event listeners, it is my understanding that you can get into memory leaks. Because that MyObject instance x will continue to take memory even if it is set to nil. Because it would still be listening for the event, the garbage collector won’t free it.

So for events that you listen for once, be sure to unhook the event so objects can be freed.

Hope that helps.