Porting an existing Java Android App

Hi all,

So I am currently looking at RemObjects C# with a view to taking over an app that currently is really 2 apps with the same functionality (logically one app), an IPhone app written in Objective C and an Android app written in Java. Note the 2 apps are written by separate companies.

Looking at some ideas on the best way to port these to RO C# (will have access to source on both apps) In the longer term we will probably largely re-write the app, but right now looking for a quick win.

What would be your strategy for this?

Cheers Tim Jarvis.

Good question.

for Objective-C. you can use Oxidizer to convert your existing .m/.h files into C#. You can import these files into your project by right-clicking the project node in Solution Explorer and choosing “Add|Import Objective-C as RemObjects C#”.

That said, Oxidizer was pretty rudimentary when we shipped 7.0 last month; i would suggest you use the new Beta build we have coming out tonight or tomorrow, for better results. (If you don’t have access to beta builds because you’re on the trial, please let me know your username on remobjects.com, and i’ll give you access t the beta when its up).

Oxidizer won’t magically produce working code, but it will get you 90% there. Over the past few weeks i’ve used it to port a major Mac project over, with over 90 source files, and while it took some adjustments to the code (and lots of bugfixes to issues that will be fixed in the aforementioned new beta ;), it was pretty straightforward. The biggest caveat is that Objective-C doesn’t mind calls on nil objects (and lots of my code was written under that assumption), while C# does, and will NRE.

for Java, we dont have an automated import to RemObjects C# yet (we do to Oxygene). The best approach would be, i think to just rename the .java files to .cs and convert them manually — which won’t be as bad, because Java and C# are pretty similar on many levels.

i hope this helps,
marc

1 Like

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your response. Its appreciated, and its looking like this is going to work out quite well. Just waiting on the prospective cust to send the source to do a proper POC.

Regards Tim.