Problems getting started with Remobjects C# trial for IOS

Hi everyone,

I’ve downloaded the trial version of RemObjects C#, installed it on my windows development machine in VS 2013, after that I’ve followed the video instructions to setup my Mac notebook pro, no problems there.
I tried to create a empy IPhone Retina 4 project and run it, now the problems started, first it complains about the missing IOS 7.1 libraries, so I followed the steps from the blog: http://blogs.remobjects.com/blogs/mh/2014/03/11/p6718.
It took a very long time to import the 7.1 files, and it shows more than 4000 warnings/messages in the console.app. After that I tried to compile the empy app again and after some time I get the following error:
“Error 35 (GetTargetSDKType) Could not get the list of supported SDKs from the CrossBox server “My Server” (Async wait timeout) C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\RemObjects Software\Oxygene\RemObjects.Oxygene.Nougat.target”

Any suggestions?

i apologize for that, yes. unfortunately we shipped just a few days before 7.1 was out and a combination of factors didnt make it easy to provide an updated release build that included 7.1. Our next update (shipping next week) will have the 7.1 files in the box.

that sounds like a network issue. Are you in a VM or on different PC and Mac machines? does this issue persist after you, say, restart CrossBox and VS? What about after restarting Windows?

—marc

HI Marc,

thanks for the quick reply, I’ve rebooted my mac and copied the fx files manually to my windows box and now it works!
I thought crossbox should take care of copying the files to my windows box…

thanks again,

Rob

Well,

I’ve got another issue, I’m trying to follow the video “Your first IOS app”. When I’m trying to add a new file to the project, the “Add New Item” dialog doesn’t show any files to choose from under the “Installed” header,
it’s completely empty. I’m expecting to see a RemObjects C# header with underneath the different items: Cocoa, IOS and OS.X. I’m using VS 2013 Update 2 RC.

thanks,

Rob

I’ve now installed RemObject C# also in 2012 and here are the RemObjects C# file items available in the “Add New Item” dialogs, so it seems there is a problem with them in VS 2013 Update 2 RC.

greetings,

Rob

I give it up, too many errors, now the simulator does not work, I don’t get any app, even a empty one running. It’s a shame because I really like the way RemObjects C# is setup, seems the best way to develop for IOS is still using objective c…

greetings,

Rob

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve run into more. :frowning:

Does the Simulator not start up at all, or does ot start up, but the app doesn’t work? Could you post any messages you see in Console.app that may relate to this?

thanx,
marc

ps, i’ll also make sure we retest the installer with Update 2 RC. We haven;t been aware of any issues with that so far, and we have tested (i’m running the RC myself). Thanx for letting us know.

Marc,

the simulator fires up but the app, which builds ok, is not loaded. I get the impression that the generated 7.1 fx files are not ok. When I let them generate by fxgenn.app it takes a very long time, more than 10 minutes and I see many messages in the console.app. See the attachment for the IOS 7.1 Simulator files.

thanks,

Rob

iOS 7.1.zip (3.9 MB)

Rob, what is your login name for remobjects.com (i see three people with your name)? i’d like to give you access to the last nights Gamma build of our upcoming 7.1 update, which contains a lot of fixes, and also official iOS 7.1 .fx files.

Marc,

that would be nice, ah yeah you can delete the other accounts, my username is seg.

thanks,

Rob

Rob,

oddly, i don’t see an account with login name"seg". From the other details, i rather the one with login name “r****k@gmail.com” is one of yours, so i added the download to that one: https://secure.remobjects.com/portal/downloads/personal.

if you can shoot me a mail to info@remobjects.com, we can coordinate closing down the other accounts (i don’t wanna post full email addresses here :wink:

in any case, i hope the new build solves these issues for you — please let me know how it goes!

—marc

Marc,

I’ve installed the latest build and everything works fine now under VS 2012. All the
included example projects are running fine in the simulator on my mac book pro.
In VS 2013 Update 2 RC, I still have a empty “Add New Item” dialog.
I did a uninstall of RemObjects C# before I installed the latest build.

If I look at the code of the examples, it seems that the syntax of some methods/functions has
changed if you compare them to the code displayed in the example videos, is that correct?

Thanks for the support and I will do some more exploring in the next couple of weeks!

Rob

FWIW. can repro the empty ADD NEW ITEMS. This seems indeed ot be an issue with VS2013 Update 2 RC (which, in fairness was just a week or so ago). We’ll of course look at getting this fixed for the upcoming release (which other than that is locked down and done).

Unfortunately, i cannot recommend a workaround right now, short of trying to uninstall the Update 2 RC (f that’s even possible, i don’t now).

not that i’m aware of, no. Do you have a particular example?

Cool. i’m hoping we’ll have the RC issue fixed in anew gamma (or even the RTM) build, next week.

Forget the syntax changes, I was not looking at the same code!
VS 2013 bug is not a big problem, will use VS 2012 for the time being, was just to let you guys know.