Restful HTTPS Server on .Net Compact Framework

Hello,

Currently we are using the Internet Pack to run provide a Restful interface to our system running on WinCE6. At the moment this connection is unencrypted and we would like to add HTTPS/SSL support to this.

Looking at the code for the Internet Pack it appears that the SSL support is explicitly compiled out when building for the .NET Compact Framework. I couldn’t find any documentation to support this, however.

From reading the Wiki it seems that using the IpHttpServerChannel object in the SDK we can enable SSL support.

Based on this I have been trying to port our code over to IpHttpServerChannel however it seems to be non-existent in the Compact Framework SDK builds. I have added references to all the DLLs under the /bin/CF/ folder. However, there does not seem to be a RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll under the CF directory and so the symbol is undefined and the build fails.

Is this the correct approach to providing a Restful HTTPS interface to our software running on WinCE, or is there another approach that would be better? If this is the right approach to this problem, what am I doing wrong that is stopping this from working.

Thank you in advance,
Lars

Hello

RemObject SDK servers aren’t supported on WinCE officially. However full version of RemObjects SDK is shipped with the source code for WinCE server assembly (ie RemObjects.SDK.Server.dll ).

Still it won’t give you much, as the Wiki article you refer to uses properties of an Internet Pack class to enable SSL support for the IpHttp channel.

I’m afraid that in this case the best approach would be to uncomment the SSL-related options in the Internet Pack source code and to get them working.

Hello antonk,

Thank you for the quick response to my question. I still have a couple questions.

Is the code available on GitHub the latest code, or is the code released with the SDK the latest code?

Using the GitHub code I tried to enabled SSL support by uncommenting the SSL related code and I hit multiple problems with unsupported classes (for instance SecureString, X509Chain, etc). Has this code ever been successfully used as a HTTPS server on Windows CE 6 with the .NET Compact Framework?

Do you have any advice to help get it running?

Cheers,
Lars

Hello

Is the code available on GitHub the latest code, or is the code released with the SDK the latest code?

I’ve updated the GitHub repository to the latest codebase.

Using the GitHub code I tried to enabled SSL support by uncommenting the SSL related code and I hit multiple problems with unsupported classes (for instance SecureString, X509Chain, etc). Has this code ever been successfully used as a HTTPS server on Windows CE 6 with the .NET Compact Framework?

The code you uncommented is targeted for the full .NET framework. It was never tested or even planned to be used on Compact Framework (as I’ve already said CF is not officially supported as server platform). You’ll need to port the corresponding code on .NET Compact Framework.

Regards