Syntax Highlighting and other Editor function (Code/Class Completion, Auto Indent etc) completely broken in VS2015 [Community Ed] (Elements 8.1.85.1801)

As per subject. I have absolutely no syntax highlighting, code completion (suggestions), class completion, auto formatting (indentation/alignment) in any Elements file types (Oxygene, C# or Silver).

“Built in” Visual Studio languages (C#) are fine, as are the XAML files even in Elements projects.

Same Elements version in VS2013 seems 100% AOK in these respects.

Is this a known problem ? Will there be a fix soon ? Obviously I can continue using VS2013 for a while but would prefer to move up to VS2015 fairly soon).

This is not a known issue, and not something anyone els has reported in the ~2 months that 8.1.85 has been out. Something must be flaky in air install. Can you try re-running setup, and/or installing a later beta version?

—marc

In a different VM (also with previous VS 2013 Elements environment), fresh install of VS2015 and Elements 8.1.85. everything appears to be working normally.

So yes, it must be something messed up on my other machine. Will try re-running the installer and or VS setup/repair on that machine when I get chance.

1 Like

Having run VS setup to “repair” the installation and having re-run the Elements setup (both before and after the VS repair), the problem persists on the affected machine.

One correction to my original post is that the VS 2015 install on this system is VS2015 Professional (not Community). Short of completely uninstalling VS2015 and starting over entirely [#lifeistooshort], is there nothing I can check in registry settings etc ? Presumably it is some simple file or project type associationin the VS configuration that is not correct ?

:confused:

SOLVED!

I found a related/similar question on StackOverflow and tried the accepted answer in that case (running DEVENV.EXE with /ResetUserData command line switch). Bingo!

It doesn’t explain what may have caused this in the first place though, but at least it solves the problem.

1 Like