TDAConnectionManager.MaxPoolSize resetting

Have noticed something odd, which is related to my issues with the connection manager within the schema modeller as described here: Schema modeler connection problem

Basically, when I open the schema modeller and the connection is marked with an X and no accessible, I’ve found that the most reliable way of fixing this is to edit the connection then simply add a character to the end of the connection string and immediately remove it, thus “dirtying” the form so I can save it by clicking OK. Most of the time this corrects the problem and it connects to the database.

The issue I’m having now is that doing so resets the MaxPoolSize property of the TDAConnectionManager component back to the default of 10. This is a pain because it’s happened twice now without my realising and, even now I know it happens, I’m likely to forget again at some future point.

I get this a lot as well, and I find just clicking to edit the connection string then test connection works, whereas the test connection button on the connection manager doesn’t.

Can you specify what drivers/auxdrivers are used, pls?

why you can’t hardcode this value in your code, say, in OnCreate event of datamodule?

Using FireDAC with MSSQL server.

Yeah I’m now setting the value in code just to be safe but thought you might want to check this out as it could easily catch people out as it has me a couple of times when I suddenly found my server running out of connections for no apparent reason.

I’m using FireDAC and ADO with MSSQL and also FireDAC with Postgresql and mySQL and it happens on any of them (in schema modeller).

thx, looks like something is wrong with FireDAC. will review it (#71176).

Ok. Bear in mind there are two separate issues here - the reset of the MaxPoolSize property when the connection is edited in the Modeller and the original issue which I reported a while ago and linked to above where the connection fails in the Modeller - I think it’s the latter that Jeremy is referring to :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m referring to the bit about the red X in the connections manager and was just saying a quicker way that I found to resolve it - there seem to be 2 different mechanisms to decide whether or not the connection is alive or not, and the one in the ‘build connection string’ works every time (assuming the database is available!), whereas just opening the connections manager and clicking ‘test current connection’ (which is presumably what it does on each connection when it loads) fails. This is not a firedac issue as I get it on ADO too, and in fact whilst checking, I can see I get it on some DBISAM DBs as well.

logged as #71177

this issue isn’t reproduced with simple configurations.
I’ve tried several different sets of connections and it works as expected.

I’ve got about 15 connections in my list, and are all mixed types. It doesn’t happen every time, and I normally only notice it when I try to do something in SM and it says it can’t get the metadata, so I have to open the connection manager and force the connection. tbh, I’ve lived with it for a while (and not just on one PC) but it’d be nice not to have to. Is the mechanism of the two methods of testing the connection different?

The mechanism is the same, but has different timeout values for the two cases, looks like it’s the reason. Logged as 71182: Schema modeler connection problem and fixed for upcoming beta release.

1 Like

Just to confirm, this is working perfectly, I’ve been using it since .1149 and my list of connections is always correct.

1 Like