2211 build bug

Building target “GenerateResources” in project “/Users/…/PortableCoreSwiftNet.elements” ("/Applications/Fire.2211.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/lib/mono/4.5/Microsoft.Common.targets"); “PrepareResources” depends on it.
Target GenerateResources:
Task "GenerateResource"
Using task GenerateResource from Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GenerateResource, Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Resource file ‘obj/Debug/portablecoreswift.Properties.Resources.resources’ is newer than the source file ‘Properties/Resources.resx’, skipping.
Task “GenerateResource” execution – FAILED
Done building target “GenerateResources” in project “/Users/…/PortableCoreSwiftNet.elements”.-- FAILED

the same project builds successfully with 2181 but fails with this in 2211…
and reports

Build FAILED.
0 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.4363740

BUT…
if I build it in 2181 and then build it in 2211 it build successfully.
(it only fails if I clean the project and build)… kind of makes sense as somethings will obviously think they’re up to date.

hmm. if you’re using xbuild, and you are, from the logs, the. toning changed there in forever. this is all handled by mono, not us. did you maybe install a newer Mono version?

not that I’m aware of…
the ONLY change. literally, that I’m aware that I made was switching between 2181 and 2211

Other guys in the team can reproduce this too.

can you send me the/a project that reproduces this?

yeah I thought you might say that :frowning:
can’t send you the project.
probably don’t have the time to cut it down either… but I do want it fixed, so I’ll give it a go.

Thanx. I’ll try and have a go at it myself tomorrow. But I build Echoes projects with resources all day every day, so it’s not something that is “obvious” or reproduces with any project. Also, again, this is entirely not our tool chain, as the resgen part is handled by Mono/xbuild, and nothing changed there. :(. Have you tried using .2221 and the EBuild tool chain (on by default in Fire, starting with .2221), which does resgen on its own?

haven’t tried 2221… 2211 is the latest I have access to. (not on beta)
can you send me some info on beta program? So I can try to talk my boss into it :slight_smile:

suggestion:
it would be nice if I could select more than one file at a time to remove from project.
or even if it didn’t collapse all my folders again every time I remove a file… so if I’m trying to cut down the project to find the problem, I don’t have to expand the folders all the way… delete one file… build… repeat

Marc, I have a small project that reproduces the problem.
it’s 20K
I’m not sure what’s left in there, so do you have somewhere secure I can push it to?
I might just email it to you directly…

I can reproduce the problem, but I have nkio idea what causes it. even after. a clean, monos resign insists the (nonexistent!) .resources file is newer than the input, thus doesn’t generate it, and thus it fails. I can only assume that this somehow is breakage in the latest Mono version we ship inside Fire.

Two workarounds:
(a) use the external compiler see here.
(b) once you have beta access, use .2221 or later, and EBuild

both options I can confirm work.

Multi-select is tricky to add, for how Fire handles file selection and the effects it would have omg the side view. but it’s something I want to look at long run, yes.

Yeah, that one’s a bug that annoys me too, and I’ll try to get that fixed ASAP.

Things are changing a bit for this with v10, and i’ll have a blog post explaining this in more detail later this week. In general, though, having a full/paid license of Elements (see Pricing | RemObjects Software) gives you access to weekly beta builds that have the latest and greatest. It also gives you access to the other languages (C#, Oxygene, Java) in addition to Swift.