[69503 Open] Converting Legacy Chrome/Oxygene Project Files to Oxygene 7.x/8.x

Hello,

I have several projects used in multiple solutions that were created in Visual Studio 2008 or 2010. I would like to be able to open the solutions/projects in Visual Studio 2013. I thought once upon a time that there was a command line utility that converted projects to the currently installed version of Oxygene. Is it not available anymore?

I know that I can perform the tasks manually by:

1. Updating MSBuild targets references in project files
  2. Renaming .chrome project files to .oxygene
  3. Updating references in solution files to renamed files

However, I’d like to avoid having to do it manually, if possible. Are there any other options?

Thanks,
Dan

Hmm. The converted was for updating pre-msbuildroject files to msbuild format. It sounds like your projects are already in msbuild format, so they should open fine and get updated to the latest targets when they do. At most you might need to rename them to .oxygene (or better .elements), if VS can no longer open them named .chrome (I’m not sure if it does or not).

Attempting to open the legacy projects in Visual Studio results in errors related to the .targets file as shown in the screenshot:

It doesn’t matter if the extension is .chrome or .oxygene. The problem appears to be the path of the .targets file. In both file types, the path to the .targets file is the same.

In order to get the projects to open in Visual Studio I modified the import reference from:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\RemObjects Software\Chrome\RemObjects.Chrome.targets" />

to:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\RemObjects Software\Oxygene\RemObjects.Oxygene.targets" />

After saving the successfully opened project in Visual Studio, I noticed that the import reference was changed to (which is what it is for newly created projects):

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\RemObjects Software\Oxygene\RemObjects.Oxygene.Echoes.targets" />

If course, I could have changed it to this and Visual Studio would not have had to modify the reference.

So, I guess at this point, best case is that I could write a console app that updates the import elements in the project file.

Thanks, logged as bugs://69503: Converting Legacy Chrome/Oxygene Project Files to Oxygene 7.x/8.x

Hello,

Could you please also send us a testcase (the project that is not opened with last Oxygene version) so we can reproduce the bug.

Best regards.

Sample solution is attached:

Sample.zip (20.5 KB)

Thanks

Thank you for the testcase. I have attached the project to the logged issue.

Best regards.

Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.

Has any progress been made on this?

To be frank, this is not currently a high profile feature request,and cannot say when (or indeed if) this will be done, sorry.

—marc

bugs://69503 got closed with status wontfix.