Any "Find All" feature as in VS?

VS supports Find All within the current file, or entire solution, and the results are in a separate window, with clickable navigation to the occurrence within any file.

How can I do the equivalent of this in Water?

Fire/Water’s Search/Replace semantics work sightly different. Water will always fo “find all”; all occurrences od the search term will be highlighted, and you can jump between them with Ctrl+G/Ctrl+Shift+G; Water also always searches in all files, and you can being the list of matching files up in the left-side pane by clicking the search icon, or pressing Ctrl+3. Water does not have a separate window to lists each results.

That’s really too bad. The separate, clickable, results list is one of the best VS features. It is also a feature of Intellij IDEA. Highly recommend this feature as it’s lack may keep me on vs for now…

1 Like

I’ll think about what we can do there within the overall design of Fire/Water.

I appreciate you considering it. The interactions with remobjects principals is one of the best reasons to use your products…:slight_smile:

As you consider it, Intellij always closes the results window when user clicks a particular result, VS does not. Prefer the VS approach.

1 Like

Another quick note: If user has text selected, then hits F, VS and IDEA both use selected text as search string. This is very intuitive and useful…

Indeed, that sounds insane (closing the pane each time).

Water has you covered there.

Ctrl+E sets the current selection (or the current token, if there’s no selection) as search term. Ctrl+Shift+E sets it as replace term. You can then find next with Ctrl+G.

You can also use Ctrl-Alft-Left/Right to combine the two steps into one (ie directly jump t the next/previous occurrence of the current selection or token).

Ctrl+F will open the Search pane w/o changing the current terms (and frankly it drives me nuts in VS that I cant bring up the search panel w/o always losing my previous/current search term, so that’s very much “as designed” ;).

I misspoke somewhat, a single click shows the result in context within the results window, while a double quote navigates the editor to the result and closes the result window.

Great!