Can't connect to Custom DA server

Hi Marc,

Even rodl works in the browser. Just not in the Delphi wizard.

Hmm, but you said earlier:

Is that no longer the case?

No, at this point the ip address is no longer working, I have been using the hostname instead. I have my server hosting provider trying to figure out that issue.

Hi Marc,

The IP address is actually 198.38.92.228

http://198.38.92.228/dbapi/PgDASvr.dll/rodl is fully working in the browser now that I have it running as an ISAPI. It is still not working in the Delphi wizard.

For now I have created a workaround where I use a standalone server (as a development server on a dedicated port) when I need to create a new client data module. I then modify the client data module to access the actual ISAPI server. (I keep the port closed in the firewall until I need to access it)

Am I correct in assuming that my production ISAPI module can have serving RODL and Info Pages turned off?

Still very freaky. I’m wondering if its something specific to theTcp/Http component the Delphi wizard uses to access the server (Eugene will know more about that). FWIW, I can access that URL fine here, both from the browser and form the Connect to Server tool in Fire (I’m not near a Windows machine but I can test .NET later or Monday; I don;'t have Delphi installed, myself, but i’l ask Eugene if he an reproduce and debug that issue locally, Monday (until right now, i hadn’t realized that we’re actually talking about a publicly reachable server can test ourselves ;).

Correct, there should be a property for that on the Server component.

Hi Marc,

I just tried with the wizard under VS.Net CE 2019.

I get the same “Connection test failed due to timeout” error.

Curious.

Works fine for me, from VS2019 and Water, using http://198.38.92.228/dbapi/PgDASvr.dll/rodl or http://198.38.92.228/dbapi/PgDASvr.dll/bin. This I from a Windows 2019 Server VM in Amazon EC2, which is as close as I come to a having Windows computer ;).

Since VS2019 fails for you as well, I think we can rule out a bug in the client code (for one, its entirely different for Delphi vs VS, for another, it should fail for me too, if that was the case).

Since I can connect fine to the same server, I think we can rule out a server-side problem and a network problem on/close to the server side.

So that yields me to think it’s a networking problem on your client side.

When you said you tested in a browser, what browser did you use? Can you try both Internet Explorer (which uses certain system apis and restrictionism, such as globally configured proxies and related hurdles) as well as a third party (ie Chrome or Firefox) browser, and make sure both work? If they dont, we’re on to something; if they both do then we can keep looking ate what could be specific to our code that accesses the RODL that’d apply to both the .NET and the Delphi version…

stranger and stranger…

I’ve been using Chrome, but the url opens fine in IE from both my vmware VM and host.

Ok, really odd. I’m out of ideas here TBH. Maybe Anton or Eugene hav an idea Monday. I’d be curious to see if a custom mini app that uses the same code we use in he IDE(s) would also work or fail. but I’ll leave it to Anton or Eugene to look at what APIs we actually use for this, first.

Thanks, logged as bugs://83662

bugs://83662 got closed with status fixed.

Fixed the initial issue

Seems the project wizard was a bit paranoid in terms of sanitizing user input (a corner-case because no one ever did encounter it for several years).

However it seems that this issue did hide another ones:

• server sends back error page 500 Internal Server Error response on any attempt to access its Schema
  • services defined in the server’s RODL are not inherited from standard Data Abstract services. This could cause issues with IDE integration tools, because f.e. they cannot determine if the service defined in RODL is a Data or a Login service

Sounds great. Thanks for the assistance.

Do you know when the fix will be available for download?

I’ve put a new build the has this fix into your Personal Download folder.

Hi Marc,

Thanks that fix worked.

Unfortunately now I have a new error and I was wondering where to look to fix it.

What URL are you passing to the wizard, /bin or /rodl? make sure it’s the latter.

Hi Marc,

I initially used the /bin one, but I just tried the /rodl one and I get the exact same error.

Something has obviously changed in a recent build.

I just tried my standalone version (that was working on port 8080) and I get the same error on it as well.

I have not changed any of my code/project settings either. All I did was a recompile with the newest version of DA that you gave me.

You will need to use the ./bin one, as the /rodl one servers only the rodl, and doesn’t handle actual communication with the server as a service (which is the art that fails here).

If this fails on the ./bin url too, then something altogether else might be broken — I’ll need to let Eugene or Anton comment on that tomorrow.