Dragging and dropping Cirrus project as reference

Hi,
I have a solution with a cirrus project and a .net core project. Should I be able to drag the cirrus project onto the references of the other ?

It doesnt work so I added the assembly in the bin folder instead.

Cheers,
John

John,

it should work, yeah. can I see a testcase? I assume dragging other references between .NET projects works for you?

AzureFunctions.zip (3.8 MB)

Other projects work.

Is it because Im dragging from a .net framework library onto a .net core project ?

That could be it. I thought I enabled dragging .NEt to any type — specifically for Cirrus. but in general there’s some issues to br sorted out here, because on .NET Core (different than, say, iOS), the dll will actually referenced for runtime too, which might cause issues when it’s built for Classic. I have an issue logged to review/discuss what to best do here to solve this…

That said, thats separate from dragging the reference, which should work; I’ll have a look and fix.

Fixed, and I mark the dragged ref as “Cirrus”, so a future compiler can take this into account and not reference it “for runtime purposes”, but just to load the aspects, @ck?

For reference: bugs://84908: Cirrus and .NET Core projects

Yeah. But that isn’t the actual cause.

I know. I’m just saying, right now, expect problems with a Aspect .dll build for .NET Classic to be linked by code running on .NET Core.

Ideally, we should move Cirrus to .NET Standard 2.0 I guess (or 1.2, if feasible) and require all aspect dlls to be .NET Standard…

Update: Cirrus as is does build ok for .NET Standard 2.0; not 1.6 :(. Which means the compiler would need to be .NET 4.6.1+ for this change.