Fire don't work with U.S. International - PC keyboard

It is impossible you add double quotes to code using U.S. International - PC keyboard.

In this keyboard, you need type twice the character to get it converted to one because you can use the character as accent for words, and it fails to be done.

In fact, any character that needs to be typed twice fail to appear in code.

In other words you only can edit code using U.S. keyboard (not International - PC version).

i’m aware of the issue with option+ characters. that said, regular double quotes do not require the keynote sees on a regular us keyboard layout!?

Yes, regular double quotes do not appear at U.S. International - PC keyboard.
Same to single quotes or any other character that you need type twice to appear.

At a U.S. keyboard it works fine because you don’t need type it twice but only once.

Finally fixed for next week’s beta (there won’t be one this week because i’m traveling).

It is ok. Thank you very much.

1 Like

sorry, no beta today due to some unforeseen regressions. next week. :frowning:

Ok, thanks.

Tested and fail on new Beta (8.4.96.2037).
It is impossible type quotes or double quotes or any character that need be pressed twice.

ok, I’ll need more details then. general dead key support (e.g. “Option-e, e” or “Option-u, a” work fine for me)…

I am not testing Option+Key just normal keys like double quotes used to define strings.
When you type a double quote nothing appear at IDE when using International PC Keyboard.

The Keyboard showed at image below.

In a US keyboard layout you just press SHIFT + ’ to appear ".
The " key is located at left side of RETURN key on US Keyboard layout.

Right. you’re saying that pressing Shift+' does NOT give you a "?

Hmm, indeed, reproduced. the entire key is just dead. freaky. will investigate.

Got it. Looks like on the US International keyboard, the ' and " keys do operate like a dead key; '+ a gives you an á, and the key needs to be pressed twice to enter a real quote. Fire’s dead key logic was tied to Option+ combos only i’ve now expanded it to handle all keys, so this now works.

Sorry for misunderstanding this before.

Exactly. You understood the problem. ’ + a gives á. And the same thing with ` ~ " ^ characters.
Thank you.

1 Like

Is this all good foryou now with .2041?

I can’t install the xip.

After I format and install the macOS Sierra when I try run a xip file I get a message that the file was not generated by Apple.

Could you release the version as dmg please?

Yes; apparently Apple broke .xip support on Sierra. I’ll switch back to (larger) mid files for the next beta. :frowning: