Fire fails to deploy to iOS device

Fire version: 10.0.0.2287
iOS version: 10.3 and 10.4

1. Create a Simple Application for iOS project using Toffee and Swift.
  2. Add a Label to the project’s main storyboard.
  3. Build and run in the Simulator; it works as intended.
  4. Build and run for a physical iPhone SE; the build succeeds, but deployment fails with the error message: “The process failed to start with the following error: No such file or directory (file:///private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/7D8564D9-B3CD-4125-ADD0-DF63737A9DD5/Hello.app/)”

I’ve tried creating several different projects with different names, with and without editing the Main.storyboard. The results are always the same (except that, of course, the UUID portion of the filename is different each time).

The RemObject platform looks attractive, but obviously it’s much less attractive if I can’t figure out how to deploy a program to an actual device. What am I doing wrong?

I should amend my description: the app does, in fact, deploy to the iPhone. I can even run it on the iPhone by tapping it. I just can’t run it (or debug it) from the Fire IDE. Attempting to run it using the IDE displays the error message in my previous post.

Mike,

my apologies for this trouble, I’ll make sure that we can get this sorted out for you ASAP. To start with, can you send me the full output of the build log pane (Cmd-Option-B) after a Clean and subsequent (failed) Run?

thanx,
marc

Sure; see attached:

DeviceAppURL=file:///private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/891E2DC7-4544-4F4E-AC2B-DC9297865EA3/Hello.app/
DeviceAppContainer=/var/containers/Bundle/Application/891E2DC7-4544-4F4E-AC2B-DC9297865EA3
Deployment of app bundle successful.
SymbolsFolder=/Users/mikel/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport/11.4 (15F79)/Symbols
Architecture=arm64
Running /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/crossboxhelper --debug c6b97e0d3d9703ca6eaab61a1e210402bd906103 10963
RemObjects Elements CrossBoxHelper 1.39: Starting Debug Server on Device
Waiting for device: c6b97e0d3d9703ca6eaab61a1e210402bd906103
DeviceSupportPath=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.4 (15F79)
SymbolsFolder=/Users/mikel/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport/11.4 (15F79)/Symbols
Developer disk image found in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.4 (15F79)/DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
Setup progress:  30% Looking up DeveloperDiskImage.dmg
Setup progress:  95% Developer disk image mounted successfully
Debugserver available on port 10963
Connection from remote debugger established.
Socket: Connection closed.

Curious. this looks like the debugger actually attaches successfully. This is followed, I assume with only

~> No such file or directory (file:///private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/891E2DC7-4544-4F4E-AC2B-DC9297865EA3/Hello.app/)

in the debug pane, nothing else there? Do you see the app launch on device and then go away, or does nothing happen, visually, on the device itself?

Unfortunately I’m working on a different branch right now (where we’re making some drastic changes to the internal debug APIs) so I cannot do a direct comparison to what it emits here, right now. I’ll switch later today and do a comparison. And maybe try and send you a newer build…

mh
marc hoffman
chief architect

May 30

Curious. this looks like the debugger actually attaches successfully. This is followed, I assume with only

~> No such file or directory (file:///private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/891E2DC7-4544-4F4E-AC2B-DC9297865EA3/Hello.app/

in the debug pane, nothing else there? Do you see the app launch on device and then go away, or does nothing happen, visually, on the device itself?

The debug pane is completely empty except for that message, followed by an empty line.

The message also appears in a modal dialog:

Unfortunately I’m working on a different branch right now (where we’re making some drastic changes to the internal debug APIs) so I cannot do a direct comparison to what it emits here, right now. I’ll switch later today and do a comparison. And maybe try and send you a newer build…

No sweat.

I’m working on my app using Apple’s tools, so this doesn’t hold me up. However, I’m hoping to use RemObject’s tools for some platforms other than Apple’s, and the more I can consolidate my toolchain, the simpler my life gets (assuming, of course, that the toolchain itself is not too complex, and that it works!).

Thanks for the help. I’ll check back later.

excellent. tomorrow I’ll be back on the main branch thats closer to .2287, and then I’ll see what happens here.

That is the goal for Elements, yeah. Issues like the above aside, Elements really is designed for embracing it across all platforms (not just the “non-native” one from whatever you’re coming from, in your case “non-iOS”), and it is, to be frank, the much more streamlined and easier to use tool chain, across all platforms (when it works ;).

:+1:

Reproduced your problem locally here, investigating now…

Nice, thanks!

And… fixed for tomorrow’s build (.2291).

Really stupid regression from some recent refactoring: deployment gives back a URL, but the debug API wants a file path. But we passed the URL string instead… :wink:

My sincerest apologies for this bad first experience.

Great! Thanks for the quick response. Will it be obvious to me how to get the update?

Thanks again; remember, it’s even better to fix a problem quickly and we’ll, than to not have any problems.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll make you to let you know once it’s up.

That’s wonderful; thanks so much!

1 Like

Mike,

.2291 is up, both on the regular download site and (in case you don’t have access to that (yet)), I’ve also put a copy on on your Personal Downloads page at https://www.remobjects.com/portal/downloads/personal.

Let me know how it goes!

—marc

THanks very much; I’m downloading it now and will test it out presently. I appreciate your help!

I thought I’d mention one more thing, while I’m thinking about it. It looks like Fire’s Mac projects do not support storyboards. In the short term thiat’s likely to keep me using Apple’s tools for Apple devices, at least until storyboard support for the Mac shows up in Fire.

Thanks again for the timely help!

On the bright side, it no longer complains that it’s unable to find the file on the device.

On the less-bright side, it now complains that it can’t find the CodeSign certificate (although it’s set in the Settings view, and is the same as the identity selected for an Xcode-based project that does build, install, and run on the device).

Also, when I switch to running on the simulator, it launches the simulator, but never runs the test app. If I leave the simulator running and retry running from the IDE, it kills the simulator, relaunches it, and never runs the app.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :frowning:

What makes you say that? We support using both .xib and .storyboard files in Mac and iOS projects.

excellent.

Hmm. Can you turn build log verbosity to “Diagnostic” in preferences, rebuild, and send me the (relevant portion of) the build log?

Curious. that was working fine for you previously, right (iirc you said Sim was fine, only device failed? Can I see the ouput from the build log for where it’s trying to launch the simulator and the app?

thanx,
marc

no worries — what’s what Im here for ;).

mh
marc hoffman
chief architect

June 2

mikelevins:
It looks like Fire’s Mac projects do not support storyboards.

What makes you say that? We support using both .xib and .storyboard files in Mac and iOS projects.

Good to know!

What made me say that was that the projects I created did not create storyboards, and I didn’t find a way to create them. Probably there are project-creation options that I didn’t try.

How do I create a Mac project that includes a storyboard? (Or did I somehow repeatedly fail to see them staring me directly in the face? That is not out of the question…)

mikelevins:
On the bright side, it no longer complains that it’s unable to find the file on the device.

excellent.

mikelevins:
On the less-bright side, it now complains that it can’t find the CodeSign certificate (although it’s set in the Settings view, and is the same as the identity selected for an Xcode-based project that does build, install, and run on the device).

Hmm. Can you turn build log verbosity to “Diagnostic” in preferences, rebuild, and send me the (relevant portion of) the build log?

Glad to; I’ll send it along directly.

mikelevins:
Also, when I switch to running on the simulator, it launches the simulator, but never runs the test app. If I leave the simulator running and retry running from the IDE, it kills the simulator, relaunches it, and never runs the app.

Curious. that was working fine for you previously, right (iirc you said Sim was fine, only device failed? Can I see the ouput from the build log for where it’s trying to launch the simulator and the app?

Yes, glad to do it.

Correct, the previous situation was that building and running worked fine on the simulator. Moreover, when building for the device, the deploy worked correctly, and I could run from the device; I just couldn’t run from the IDE.

I’ll get those logs to you.

Please find the device-failure log attached.

I am now unable to reproduce the simulator failure. Curious…

If it happens again, I’ll collect the logs for you and send them along.

Fire-buildlog-ios-device-20180602-1.txt (24.4 KB)