General question

Hi,
I have a potential customer that needs custom software.
I will try to explain it a little bit. They have a lot of saunas, … in the field where they attach a communication device that is able to capture data from the device and send it over locally for the moment to a VB application such as temperature, … The VB application also allows to send commands to the communication device, for instance start up the sauna, increase the heet, …
This is all locally for the moment using an UDP protocol.

Now they want to be able to do this over the Internet. Therefore I was thinking about setting up a RemObjects service that allows 2-way communication. That way we can provide a mobile application that sends commands to our server where the RemObjects service is hosted. The RemObjects server sends the requests to the communication device. The other way around should also be possible. It should be possible to get information from the device in real-time.

I have no experience in this kind of communication. Is this something that can be done using RemObjects and how to get started with this (protocol, setting up, …)
Does anybody have any ideas concerning this?

Thx,
Dominique

Hello

By “VB application” do you mean a VB.NET app or an old-fashioned VB6 app?

Remoting SDK allows to create apps that provide 2-way communications. There are 2 different models of server -> client communications (they can be supported by the same server app):

• Polling model where client polls server for new events. This model is good for unstable connections
  • Push model where client receives event info immediately it is raised on the server. This model works better on persistent client-server connection

This tutorial shows how to create a chat app step by step: https://docs.remotingsdk.com/Tutorials/ChatSample/

We also support a wide variety of mobile platforms for client apps.

Regards

This is an old-fashioned VB6 application.
I’m mainly working in Delphi.
I have to check in what the clients are written currently, i think this is in c++.

Dominique