Island memory manager question/passing Struct to C lib

I have a TensorFlow sample application in Island/Oxygene - and somehow I ended up in an exception which gave me a Window error code indicating heap corruption.

I am scratching my head. Maybe this is a stupid question - will by any chance Island memeory manager interfere with tensorflow’s C memory manager?

The sample is at here, TensorInfo:

No the GC has it’s “own” memory (it uses virtualalloc to allocate a buffer for GC memory).

Given that I know nothing about tensor flow, can you elaborate a bit as to what fails and where? (and if it’s needed for me to run this, what I need to run this?)

@ck
Many thanks

The github repository includes a list of Elements/Island projects. If you could clone that repository, and run the project: ./projects/TensorInfo, you would see the exception - it was caught by Element, and the error code indicates it was a Windows Heap Corruption error.

So it runs and triggers an access violations:

it prints: Tensor: input_4 inputs: 0 outputs: 1

Fails inside TF_GraphGetTensorNumDims:
Exception thrown at 0x00007FFDA2CBB120 (tensorflow.dll) in TensorInfo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000200000092.

i think I know what’s going on here. Windows passes structs differently, and we use the sysv way of passing this.

Thanks, logged as bugs://83682

is this what i should expect @wuping?

Tensor: input_4 inputs: 0 outputs: 1
dims: 3Output: 0 type: TF_FLOAT [-1, 5, 12]
Tensor: output_node0 inputs: 1 outputs: 1
Input: 0 type: TF_FLOAT
dims: 2Output: 0 type: TF_FLOAT [-1, 4]

bugs://83682 got closed with status fixed.

@ck Cool! You are the Man! Yes - that is the expected results.

So this is some sort of LLVM struct ABI issue?

Not exactly. I’m defining how things are passed. The windows abi differed in this but we never encountered this issue before.

1 Like

the fix will be in 2465, coming later today.

1 Like

@ck @mh
Thank you - I download the 2465 build. The “heap corruption” issue is solved, but the VS2019 debugger (Windows/Island/x64) seems stopped working. Previously, the debugger at least worked to some extent.

• The debugger works as expected for non-tensorflow projects (i.e., when there is no linking to TensorFlow), but

• The debugger stops working if the program is linked to TensorFlow. By “stops working”, I mean, it won’t hit ANY breaking points, while just go all the way to run and exit (as if the “Start without Debugging” mode).

Any heads up?

UPDATE: it seems build 2465 has debugger totally broken, not working on VS2019/Water. It has nothing to do with whether linking to TensorFlow or not.

Hrmm I didn’t notice that. I’ll ask my colleague @elenap to look at it next week.

Thanks, logged as bugs://83687

Double-check and Update - The Island/Windows debugger is totally broken with build 2465

• On both VS2019 and Water, it doesn’t work at all. No breaking points are hit. It has nothing to do with TensorFlow.
  • This can be replicated easily with a boilerplate project (see attached):
    ConsoleApplication.7z (4.2 KB)

bugs://83687 got closed with status fixed.