(nader shalabi) #1

I’ve just started exploring Island, and was wondering about few things:

(Carlo Kok) #2

No. You have access to the native platforms library (Think user32, kernel32 and friends on Windows, libc on Linux/Android). And Island RTL. We’re working hard on expanding this to extra libraries (Suggestions welcome of course).
island rtl can be found at:, we’re constantly working on expanding that.

No, Island only depends on libc/the standard windows dlls, everything else is compiled in.[quote=“nader_shalabi, post:1, topic:12253”]

.NET native is currently only for Windows Store/Universal apps afaik.

(nader shalabi) #3

Thank you for your prompt response. My use case for Island was to import .NET applications to Island for performance, and I am trying to evaluate the effort needed in doing so, so far and based on your answers, I do not think this will be an easy migration, even using Sugar, which won’t compensate for .NET runtime calls (like reading registry, using .NET forms, etc…)

(Carlo Kok) #4

of course. However one thing you could do as an alternative option, is do performance critical work on the island side and do the rest on .NET.

(Jolyon Direnko-Smith) #5

PMFJI - The other thing I would suggest is to not necessarily assume that .net is the problem.

It is perfectly possible to write (and run) highly performant .net code. The problem - in my experience - is that .net makes it too easy to write code inefficiently or that will run inefficiently.

Identify your bottlenecks and identify the causes. Only then can you know whether any particular change is going to improve things.