New forum preview

Looks interesting to me, though some of the visual choices are a bit annoying (mainly the fixed bar at the top of a thread that not only stays when you scroll down but enlarges). I also tend to get frustrated at sites that use the “infinite scroll” type navigation like it’s using on the front page/category pages. It’s flashy, but it tends to be less usable. On the positive side, it looks like it at least knows to load all the topics down to include the page of the last one you clicked on when you hit the back button. I find it does often lose it’s vertical scrollbar place, though. Maybe it’ll grow on me.

I’m also not seeing any sort of options for the search other than just “search for this term”. That’s one of the things that annoy me about the connect site, and force me to use google for my searching. How can I filter my search to a category? Or tell it to search just in the subject line? There are other advanced queries but those are the two most basic.

thanks for your feedback, so far the “infinite scroll” seems to retain the back position so thats good. As for search: If you go into the data abstract category (http://talk.remobjects.com/category/data-abstract) and use search there, it limits the search to data abstract related things. And If you put quotes around it it finds that string, like “ASP.NET Paging issue” will get you the topic with that subject (while it doesn’t seem to be able to limit itself to just subjects, it gives the right results)

@ck, the new forum is great. Quote works! That alone is a great addition. :wink:

Well done so far.

Hello,
a little annoying thing: if I select Code sample, I had to manually add 4 spaces at the beginning of each code line, otherwise it is not taken into the code sample.

A more annoying bug: If I paste code into Code sample, I also had to manually add 4 spaces for each line.

Finally, Oxygene code is not color coded.

Patrick

@Patrick:

see Test topic #2 for the syntax for source code.

Essentially “code sample” is just a <pre> </pre> field, but you can use that button to make a whole block indented to show as code.

Thanks for the explanation, Carlo.

Me likey likey! (Reasoned and thoughtful, ain’t i?)

Once I click login, I only see a blank page. Chrome/Firefox/Safari don’t say anything, but IE gives the following errors:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:46:25 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 15926
Code: 0
URI: http://talk.remobjects.com/assets/application-6af5e3910565cd81791b5a899cb283e0.js

Line: 103
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://talk.remobjects.com/

@Jeremy: you’re saying Chrome, Firefox and safari all don’t work? and IE8 doesn’t work either but gives an error? Or is the “login” window empty?

Carlo, they didn’t work at all, no (and I tried on multiple PCs). When I first connected I could see the login popup, but after clicking the button, the form just went blank. I’ve just connected again to see if I can logoff somehow, but it is now working on all except IE8, where those 2 errors are still present.

cool thanks. I’m not sure if IE8 is supported at all. I’ll investgiate.

Carlo,
I’ve tested in my Windows XP virtual machine with IE8: nothing displayed, just an error (the same as Jeremy).
Patrick

Doesn’t look like they support Ie8 at all. Chrome, Firefox, IE9 or above will work, isthis an issue for any of you?

For me, it’s not an issue: I have IE8 only in a virtual machine, for testing…

Not an issue for me either, I don’t use IE (which is why it’s still IE8) except when I connect somewhere that doesn’t work, and I use it as a final sanity check.

Patrick : install google chrome. You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

I have a blank screen in Chrome, each time I launch the new forum.
Before I tried to Login there, everything was OK.
Restarting Chrome didn’t bring back the Forum site.
I can’t reproduce that white screen with IE or Firefox.

It would be cool, if there were some icons or somthing else in the oxygene thread overview, that gives a hint to the platform related to a forum post.
So we coud see in the thread overview, if a post is related to Nougat, Echos or Cooper without opening that thread.

Jens: are you using chrome beta or develop?

No. It’s the regular actual Chrome Release (Version 30.0.1599.101 m)