Some questions on 9.1

So I got an email saying new version 9.1 was available. I went to the downloads and got “RemObjects Elements - 9.1.99.2141.exe”. I thought it was odd that I already had “RemObjects Elements - 9.1.100.2129.exe” which was a number 100 version which would be after 99, presumably. I had had trouble with 9.1.100 and had to back off to 8.3.95.2031 so I was concerned.

But I uninstalled 8.x and installed the 99. When it was done, I went into VS 2017 which I thought was supported now. So when I went into VS 2017, I was surprised there was no RemObject’s welcome dialog, but I thought maybe you weren’t doing that anymore. So then I tried to create a new WPF project. When I did that, I got some message that said something about license wasn’t (typo originally said WAS, but it WASN’T) installed or something.

So then I went back to my VS 2013. There the dialog popped up and I think I saw a message that said something about the license being updated.

So I made a WPF application, added a button, added a Click event. Then I right clicked on the Click event and chose “View Code”. It didn’t take me to the code which I’m pretty sure usually takes me to the event code. So I went to the backing code to see if the click event handler code was in place, and it was. So I tried the right click again and it didn’t work.

So then I decided to go back to 2017. I went in there and opened up the WPF application that was created the first time. It opened up with no license complaint (I presume the license properly updated for VS 2013 too effect for 2013).

So I was in the designer and started typing the “<button” which normally does code completion and let’s me select <Button. No code completion. I typed Click= and the “” was put in, but it didn’t have a choice for event name.

I went back into VS 2013 to verify how that completion was working. I deleted the “eventname”, then backspaced the “=” out then typed the “=”. Then VS 2013 hung with a dialog about waiting to complete some operation. I ended up killing the VS 2013.

I guess I’ll go back to 8.x unless someone can tell me I did something wrong, or there is some option that needs setting.

(I’m looking for a VS 2017 update to see if that helps the event handler issue there)

FTR, younger need to uninstall, you can just upgrade.

We don’t, currently, thats expected.

ok? i’d love to comment more, but this is rather vague :wink:

it should, yes. this sounds like a bug. Does this happen (or rather, not haopen) every time? This is Oxygene in VS2013 i take it?

as it well should.

i’ll have someone from the VS team look at the WPD designer problems and get back to you on that.

—marc

Sorry I couldn’t give you the exact message from 2017 about the license. I didn’t realize I wasn’t going to be able to reproduce it. But I couldn’t. As I said, I’m guessing the proper license update by VS 2013 must have cleared up the problem for 2017 and so when I tried to get a snapshot to show what it said, I couldn’t get that again. I could uninstall and reinstall and try again. I’m not terribly busy so maybe I’ll try that.

The “View Code” problem in 2013 happened every time. I WAS able to reproduce that.

Thanks for looking into it.

Yeah, both do use the sam e license store. That said, VS2017 should/would/could have update the license as well, it just uses a slightly different UI. hard to say what happened now, and if it failed or would have updated, now :slight_smile:

Sorry, that was a typo. Meant to say “WASN’T installed”. The page that message was on had 3 buttons. Something about buying, and trial, and maybe update license. Don’t remember unfortunately. Wish I had done a screenshot…

And if one said “update license”, I would have pressed that, but nothing happened or it complained. Again, couldn’t reproduce it so can describe it precisely.

… time passes …

Nope, as I suspected, now that the license is updated, even uninstalling and reinstalling didn’t cause the same error about the license. Sorry can’t give more information.

However, when I tried creating a new WPF app again and putting in a button in the XAML, the code completion is working. But then, when I supplied then “new event handler” in the click event, I get a “Ensure Event Failed” message. And this time, it didn’t create the code behind for the event. Nothing Is Ever Easy.

Looks like the menu item to go to the code in 2017 is “go to definition” rather than “view code”, but since it isn’t making the event handler code, it can’t go to the definition either.

In 2013, with the event code present, when I do the “go to definition”, I get a “Cannot navigate to definition”. Go figure.

I’ll go back to 8.x shortly.