Switch from Debug to Release does not rebuild

To reproduce:

1. Take a solution with a dll and an exe project.
  2. Build the solution using the Release configuration
  3. Switch to debug and change the parameters of a mehod in the dll (and the call to it in the exe)
  4. Build the exe project - the dll gets build too (as it should be)
  5. Switch to release
  6. build (not rebuild) the exe project - dll gets not build and the exe can not be compiled because of the changed parameters

Solution: mark all projects as changed (so they will be build next round) as soon as the debug/release changes.

Curious. Can I see a full build log for this? I assume VS, correct? can you reproduce the same in Water?

EBuild keeps a separate cache for each configurations, so in theory this should not happen; when you build Release again, it should find the dll outdated and rebuild it (unless VS does its own logic of what it thinks needs. building…

I will have to make some time for that - I just had it when I switched to release, to release the next version of the software. - No real problem, just did a rebuild and everything was fine.

1 Like

I only work with VS.

This could be - I had about 2 years ago a similar problem with VB.

Right, I know. But knowing if it shows in Water too will help narrow down whether this is an issue in EBuild or in VS, which I in turn determines who’ll need to have a look and what the chance of a quick fix is ;). I can’t test in VS (or Water) myself right now, because my Surface, which I used for Windows work/testing, died of a swollen battery ;(

I’ll try myself, in Fire; if it doesn’t repro there, it’s a VS-level issue.

Does not repro; so it’s a VS thing.

Thanks, logged as bugs://83064

bugs://83064 got closed with status fixed.

Background: this was a weird one. Switching configurations ran EBuild to re-resolbve references. since the Release config was not build yet, the project reference did not resolve directly, and fell back to the HintPath (which was Debug). this resolve ended up in the cache, so ion next build, resolve reused the cache and stuck with the Debug version of the .dll, not the now freshly built Release version.

1 Like