Update daSchema with new tables for existing DA server

This is the first time I’ve had to do this…

I have an existing DA server (service) running on .NET. Since it was created, some new tables have been designed and added to the database. What do I do to “update” the daSchema in the DA server so that it has definitions for these new tables?

Thanks much

Hello

• Open the .daSchema file in Schema Modeler.
  • Drag newly added tables from Connection Definition window to the Tables node, like this:
  • Existing clients won’t require rebuild and/or update unless they need to access the newly added tables.

Regards

THANK YOU!!!

Is there an easy way to totally refresh a schema? Or would I have to delete all the tables from the schema, then drag all of them back in from the connection window?

It depends on what you understand under “total refresh”.

If you need only to add new tables to the schema you need to drag them one-by-one from connections window to the tables node. (That’s annoying, I know. I’ll write a command-line tool that will add only new tables to the schema and will eventually add such functionality to Schema Modeler too)

If you really need to re-add all tables to the schema then it is easier to use Tools -> New Schema Wizard. This tool will create a new Schema, will add tables to it etc. It will be way faster than deleting/adding tables.

Still I think we need first to discuss this from the very beginning (here in the public thread or privately in support@ ):

1. What do you currently have?
  2. Which result do you need?

So we’ll be able to find the best solution

I’m trying to find the easiest solution to do two things -

1 - add a couple new tables to a schema
2 - fix some error I introduced by manually adding tables to a schema. (this is related to my other thread)

The reason for making manual changes to my schema in the past was because I’m a remote employee working 1000 miles away from “the office”. At the time it seemed easiest, but I now tend to agree with you that its not the best idea.

There is some issue now in my schema causing issues when I release a new server. In order to fix this, I installed VS and DA/ROSDK on my remote pc, and I’ve got DA configured to see my database. I’ve uploaded my current schema, and was thinking it would just be easiest to remove all the tables, and re-add them to the schema to “refresh” everything. I would then download the refreshed schema here local and rebuild my service and see if that fixes all my issues.

Thoughts?

In this case the best option would be to use the Schema Modeler’s Tools -> New Schema Wizard tool to create a brand new Schema and then to overwrite existing schema file with it.