Visual Studio 2013 - An exception has been encountered

Hello RemObjects.
Here the exception occurred when right click “View Code” on “WinForm” Designer in Visual Studio 2013.
Ellements v10.0.0.2285

I hope Activity.LOG will help.
ActivityLog.xml (72.0 KB)

Thank you.

Best regards.

we’ve not supported 2013 for quite a while now. Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 only.

Ok! Thank you Marc!
But why does the installer integrate with Visual Studio 2013 if its not supported?

Best regards.

it should not. what i’m guessing happens is that the installer just replaces .dlls of an older install and VS2013 picks them up. but i’ll have the VS team have a look and make sure we so”be that part and properly unregistered from 2013.

1 Like

Thank you Marc for your reply :slight_smile:
But the whole installation I’ve done from scratch, there was no previous RemObjects Elements Installation, I should mentioned that before.
First I installed VS2017(Enterprise), then VS2013 (Shell), and finally VS2015(Shell), and at the end RemObjects Elements v10.0.0.2285 on a single VM machine. So I guess there in no way to pick up any dlls.
On my opinion, Visual Studio 2013(Shell) should not be tossed away from Elements Integration, because that’s only shell edition works with WPF Perfectly without any lags and hangs, compare to Visual Studio 2015(Shell) is bad.
I think the Visual Studio 2013 is still supported by Microsoft till 2024-04-09 as Extended Support, and
Mainstream Support till 2019-04-09.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/lifecycle/search?alpha=Visual%20Studio%202013%20Update%205

Thanks.
Best regards.

Thanks, logged as bugs://80201

I guess this is an installer bug then, it just be accidentally still registering some bits with VS2013 when it should not. I’ve logged an issue to get this looked at and fixed.

It’s not as easy as that. every version of VS has (slightly, sometimes less slightly) different APIs and comes with a tremendous cost to support, maintain and test. On top of that, we dropped VS2013 a while ago. bringing it back would not only mean we need to test and maintain it, it would also mean we’d need to back-port everything we did over the past few years since we did drop it, to fully support it.

It’s just not feasible for us to keep supporting versions of VS that are 6+ years old, I’m afraid.

Thanks Marc.
Makes sense.

Best regards.

bugs://80201 got closed with status fixed.

bugs://80201 got reopened.

bugs://80201 got closed with status cannotrepro.