Widgets Componets and Charting with Elements IDE

My understanding of elements is that it is an IDE that allows you to code in multiple code languages. And the editor handles the appropriate syntax highlighting and compiling.

How does one use 3rd party components like spreadsheet interfaces or database connection frameworks or charting components in the elements projects?

Are they handled different for each different language?

Is it even an option at this point?

For example TMS Components has many VCL components for use in Delphi. Can these same components be linked and called through elements >> oxygen? I am assuming the components cannot be installed into the elements IDE.

Thanks
Tim C.

Hello,

i think you are misunderstanding the whole concept from Elements.
It is not a write once and run anywhere. The Idea behind it, is more to write the
Business logic in a platform independent way. (But maybe I’m totally wrong :wink: )
The Gui is a complete different thing. Don’t mix it. In my understanding You “must” split these things. If you follow the concept of MVC (Modell, View, Controller) you will not have big problems, but if you mix it you will fail (at least in the long run).

The “Delphi” way ist nice for small Apps, but in a long run it will get you a lot of problems.

Maybe it will be good if more Remobjects (the (Ex) Delphi’s ) Users a willing to share the knowledge
about this. The forums could be more alife…

And about TMS:

1. It is Delphi (VCL)
  2. The Quality is discutable, i think there focus is more on quantity
  3. This is my own experience with the components

And all this is my view so …

For the Gui you should use the platform tools.
I’m using at moment most the Mac (Xcode) with Elements, it works nice.
But (there is always one, isn’t it?) you have to learn the tools…

They are not different per language, but they are different per platform. For example, on .NET you could could use any standard .NET charting control — DEvEx, Telerik or whatever else is out there. They would work, regardless of whether you use Oxygene, C#, Swift or Java. But they’d only work on .NET. Dito for the other platforms (I just can’t name any examples of charting components for Cocoa or Java ;).