Windows version of Fire IDE

Hey, RemObjects: Do you plan to make a Windows version of Fire IDE?
I’m using Visual Studio 2015 but I don’t like it. I can’t understand why it’s generally considered a very good development IDE…

Not currently. Creating a full IDE fro scratch is a lot of work. We started Fire about three (or has it been four?) years ago. I do hear you re VS, though. personally i prefer Fire too :wink:

I suppose a new IDE is veeeeeery hard to do, but I had to ask…

1 Like

As Fire is a .Net application - I saw it in this Forum or Site - that have Mono embedded, is not easy as just recompile it for Windows?

Or the GUI is Mac only?

At the present moment, Mono can run Windows Forms applications at Mac then maybe use Widows Forms could let Fire runs on both platforms.

I would like to can use Fire on Windows too and could help at this work.

Fire is not a .net app. it’s. Toffee osx app and embeds Mono for code Completion.

all good things… come to those who wait. :wink:

Is it all swift then?

Nice. Say more. Kill my curiosity :yum:
But, please, don’t say that is the Visual Studio for Mac…
I tried it but dislike.

Some silver, some oxygene, most hydrogene for cocoa.

And we don’t like visual studio for Mac either

Yeah, me either. Nice to hear that. I just removed completely the VS for Mac - because it ate 20GB+ of space - using a Time Machine backup made just before I install, but I am in love with Rider from JetBrains that is a good IDE to .Net. I tested the EAP version and I am waiting the final version to evaluate the possibility of use it. If you guys wants to integrate with another IDE I suggest try it.

Fire is, first and foremost, a pure Cocoa application. it hosts Mono and the .NET-based compiler to drive things like code completion, but all the rest of the app, the UI, all the project system, everything is pure Cocoa, native Mac app. 99% of the code happens to be written in C#, but it may as well be written in any of the four Elements languages — C# just happened to be new when i started Fire, and i wanted a large/huge “dig food” project for our C# compiler, so that’s what i chose.

Over the past month or so, i have put a lot of effort into refactoring the non-visual parts of Fire to be cross-platform, suing RTL2, our upcoming replacement for Sugar. As a result, all the “backend” code in Fore can now be compiled as native Cocoa app and for .NET.

For the purpose of Fire itself, everything remains pure Cocoa. Its just that the same code can now also be used in a .NET based application (on Windows, and elsewhere) as well.

I cannot comment yet as to why we would do such a thing, but i’ll leave you to guess ;).

No, that’d be the opposite ;). We already have an awesome IDE for Mac, we don’t need to and have no plans to support Visual Studio for Mac (which is just a rebranded MonoDevelop, which we did support ages ago, and its (a) was a royal PITA and (b) sucked ass ;).

What we/you want is a Windows IDE that is like Fire, not a Mac IDE that’s like Visual Studio :wink:

i expect the next few months will have you see some exciting stuff in this front :wink:

Good news!!!
Talk more about the RTL2. What will be the difference between RTL2 and Sugar?
I am asking because I was starting testing Sugar to use it at production and I want to know if they will be fully compatible or if is better I wait you launch RTL2 .

RTL2 will be Sugar, but improved and cleaned up. It will not be 100% compatible, but probably 90%, with some Api changes to make it nicer and more consistent, and less focused on being such close a match to .NET For example, List<T> is mostly the same, but there’s also a ImmutableList<T> base class. Url is complete written fro scratch as native class, as is XmlDocment. DateTime and Guid are classes on all platforms, rather than being mapped to class or struts between Cocoa vs .NET.

Also, RTL2 will support Island, Sugar currently doesn’t (and won’t).

The current beta ships RTL2 as a preview — look for (lib)Elements. as a reference option. I’ll probably open the GitHub repo in the next few weeks.

—marc

Understood. Thanks.

Will RTL2 be on github soon ?

1 Like

Why the quotes used here:

extension method java.lang.Object.«ToString»: PlatformString;
begin
result := «toString»();
end;

«» quotes in Oxygene fore the identifier to be used as is, including any “invalid” chars not usually allowed in an identifier, and w.o correcting for case. In this case, it’s used to distinguish toString from ToString.

in general «», is used to access identifiers with names not legal in Pascal. for example, assume you override a method declared in an assembly compiled in Brainfuck.NET (yes, that’s a thing), you could write method «.::..:;»; override; :wink:

OK, thanks.