[70932 Open] "Hidden Strings" setting

One of our customers reported an exception that contained this stack trace:

> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
>   at <PrivateImplementationDetails>{B5D2A2F1-F42E-42E3-A53F-C83172F789C9}. ()
>   at  .‒. ()
>   at  .•. ()

I spent a little while rebuilding my assembly with various Oxfuscator settings and then opening the obfuscated assembly using ildasm. I see that the PrivateImplementationDetails class is created by Oxfuscator when the “Hide Strings” setting is turned on. So it is not my code that has thrown the exception - it is the Oxfuscator-authored class.

Unfortunately this is intermittent - I don’t have a reliable way of reproducing it.

Has anyone else reported this? Is it a known issue? My workaround for the moment is to disable “Hide Strings” and then there won’t be a PrivateImplementationDetails that can crash.

Can you give me any more information about this?

It’s not a known issue. I can take a look at the code that gets generated for this though.

Thanks, logged as bugs://70932: “Hidden Strings” setting

bugs://70932 got closed with status fixed.

So I took a look at the code. There were verification issues due to the name of the classes, however that shouldn’t cause an access violation. I ran Oxfuscator with string obfuscation against several assemblies and couldn’t get an Access Violation. So my question is, can you try with the next build? And if it does reproduce mail me the executables (ck@remobjects.com) ?

Thanks for the response. As it’s not an issue you’ve seen before, and it’s intermittent (i.e. it’s been reported once ever) I’ll leave my settings as “Hide Strings = disabled” for the moment. We will upgrade to the newer Oxfuscator in the future, and I’ll see then whether we get any more reports of this behaviour. Thanks again.