Android device not showing as an option to run on

I’ve been able to setup a couple AVDs and run a simple program but when I plug in my device, it isn’t listed. Would it be somewhere else or do I need to register it somehow? I’m very new to the android devices-first one arrived two days ago.

And I need to add that it is visible as a USB drive in windows.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Have you read Scotty’s blog post on setting up for Android Development (blogs.remobjects.com). The last section covers using an actual device; I’d also add that when you plug the device in if it says “Connected as a media device”, change the USB connection type to “Connected as a camera”

Best regards,

Simon

Simon,
Thanks for the link. I believe I’ve done everything correctly (of course) but it is still not recognized.
It looks like I’m showing the device working properly but still no luck.

what shows if you run “adb devices” from the commandline? adb is located in the Android SDK folder, irc under platform-tools.

Hi, if your device has been root, you can try another method. Installed Adb wireless and then connect your android device to your home’s Wifi. Then run the app and it should gave you an address. Then on your PC, from the commandline you can type adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx //xxx is your phone’s IP address once succeed, in visual studio crossbox can find your phone and you can run app wireless

“adb devices” results in nothing. Developer settings are on for usb debugging.
To run it over wifi would be great - can anyone tell me an easy way to root the device? It seems some of the methods require adb which I don’t have a valid connection now.
Thanks-Bill

that’d do it then. We use that command to obtain the list of devices the Android SDK sees.if the SDK can;t see the device, we can’t either :(.

To root your devices you need to know your device model and search for the tools to root it. Or you can try some easy tools such as rootgenius. I am not sure if it has English version.

RootGenius did it along with something else that I can’t remember because of trying so many different things. However, rooting and then using a wireless adb as xiaoguang recommended worked perfectly. I can see the device in my list under Visual Studio and I’m able to debug my program.

Thanks for all the help.
Bill

1 Like