Any suggestions for accessing a SQL Server or MariaDB database on Island for Linux?

Hello,

I downloaded the IslandDB repo and it looks like this is strictly for the Windows flavor of Island. I’m hoping to find some solution for accessing SQL Server and possibly MariaDB databases on the Linux platform.

Thank you!

IslandDB, while still early and not fully finished and supported yet, should support all (applicable) Island platforms. What problem are you running into, specifically?

The MariaDB project has targes for Windows, Linux and Mac:

I’m not seeing oledb (SQL Server) for Linux. Is there a different solution for that?

Oh, OleDb is a (old) MicrosoftWindows tech, yeah. you won’t have that one on Linux.

Is there some other way to connect to a SQL Server database from Island / Linux?

I have SQL Server installed on my Linux box and can access it in .NET.

And I’m guessing there’s no DataTable/DataRow implementation that is cross platform?

I’m not aware of any native Linux drivers for MSSQL, myself. That said, a quick google turns up that apparently there’s ODBC support on Linux, so maybe that’s an option. we don’t have wrappers for that as of now, I don’t think.

I see

That will likely keep me from being able to use Elements until / unless I can find a resolution to this. My shop is reluctant to make the switch from SQL Server to MySQL. I’m trying to make that push but there is reluctance, mostly due to everyone’s familiarity with SQL Server.

Thank you for the info.

Is using .NET Core instead of native Island an option? If not, why not?

Yes, it is an option and for this project that is likely the way I will have to go. And I know I could use Elements to create a .NET application. However, there are other non-technical factors that are involved. Namely that I’m not the only decision maker and I’ll need to be able to prove the technology (Elements) before I can put it into a production environment. Right now I’m learning Elements and building the case for it but I’m not there just yet.

There are reasons why I am specifically interested in Island. The application in question is a headless service (a RemObjects SDK Server) with some other code that talks to the equipment that we manufacture and records data to a database. The application will run on a single board computer that we embed into our equipment. My argument for Island would be that I can leverage my C# knowledge and much of my existing code base to create a 100% native application which can run on Windows (now) or Linux (future). Resources on the embedded computer are fairly limited and Linux seems a natural fit for this environment. This is my goal if I can get others on board with it.

Ah ok, i understand.