ASP.NET Core Project in Water can't run (debug) successfully a second time

Water v11.0.0.2717

I’m probably doing something wrong here, but when I try to “Run” my ASP.NET Core MVC/Razor-based Web Application, it works fine the first time, but the second time it can’t get past “Starting [ProjectName]” in the upper right corner. Also at this point, using “Stop” doesn’t seem to work - the menu option stays active even after clicking on it like there is still something to stop.

It doesn’t seem to make a difference if I leave the browser open or closed after stopping debugging. It also doesn’t seem to matter if I Stop first then close the browser or vice versa.

I don’t know that it matters, but Firefox is my default browser on this machine.

Here’s a quick video showing the behavior:

I included the Task Manager view in case that is helpful. What I’ve found is that if I close Water and then kill any extra RemObjects.Elements.Debugger.exe tasks, then when I restart Water most of the time it works okay again.

Suggestions with a solution that doesn’t involve restarting Water each time would be greatly appreciated.

–Avonelle

Logged as bugs://E25720.

Out of curiosity: does the same happen for you for any .NET Core project, or only ASP.NET?

Hmmmmm…not consistently, at least with a console application I just tried.

Maybe it is something weird about my environment?

I did just try a reboot of the computer in case there was something strange going on, but that did not make a difference.

I am finding now if I kill a RemObjects.Elements.Debugger.exe process in Task Manager, it seems to “continue” and start debugging, so that isn’t so bad. Just a bit weird.

FYI - certainly not an emergency for me. I’m just trying to learn some things.

–Avonelle

1 Like

Curious. Can you find out if that Debugger.exe is left of from the first session thats stuck (ie it sticks around after debugging finished), or is it the freshly launched one from the second session that gets stuck?

It is the debugger.exe left from the previous session that sticks around after debugging finishes. Ending the task in Task Manager restarts it (with a new process ID), probably because Water is trying to start the debugging process.

–Avonelle

1 Like

bugs://E25720 was closed as fixed.