Bug: Can not publish webservice

In the build of today, I can not publish a webservice.
I get the error:
The target “BeforeBuild” does not exist in the project.

When I go to the project properties, and press the button Pre-Build event, VS2017 crashes.

This one is urgent …

Is this a regression in this build (ie does it work with last Friday’s), or was this possibly an older issue and this is just the first time you try?

You realize you can’t have it both — hourly builds with a latest tweaks for you and expect total stability, right?

Yes I do :smile:

I compiled the last version with 2307 - and now they need a hotfix.
So I do not know if it worked in 2309.
Can I install 2309 over 2310?

You can, yes. That said, before you do: Did it work for 2307? if so, that’s probably enough detail for us to narrow it down. Doesn’t really matter of it got broen this week or last — I just want to know if it’s a new(ish) breakage or just something that never worked at all… :wink:

Thanks, logged as bugs://80683

Yes, it did.

2309 also works. Not urgent anymore; I just build the hotfix.
But inform me if this is fixed in 2311, otherwise I have to skip that one.

thanx.

You know how it is in IT:

• On budget
  • Fast and stable
  • On time

You can only have two of the above :smile:

1 Like

you are sure about the two? My experience tells me only one… :wink:

2 Likes

And to make it even worse: My experiences with government implementations tells me that you can have none of the above (it will just fail miserably).

1 Like

Temporary workaround: change the Target import in your project to use RemObjects.Elements.Echoes.Legacy.targets (if the interim build you have already ships that, else with .2311 which will have it). Turns out this is a side effect of the main Echoes.target switching to EBuild for this build.

In 2313, the publish error changed to: The target “BuildOnlySettings” does not exist in the project"
Pressing the button Pre-Build Event still crashes VS2017.

Is that with RemObjects.Elements.Echoes.Legacy.targets or with RemObjects.Elements.Echoes..targets?

The last one.
Posted it because the error changed.

ok. with Legacy I assume it all works?

No.
The button pre-build Events works.
But with legacy I have the old problem that it can not find the referenced namespaces back.

Edit: and when changing back, the problem stays.
Did not have this one for a week …

Having problems here too. After changing to Legacy targets, the web application seems not to find the other assemblies that are not set as Legacy (this is a guess). It is strange as it doesn’t complain about an missing assembly, but about the classes in those assemblies.

(E46) Unknown identifier “Database”

Went back to RemObjects.Elements.Echoes.targets and it builds again, but it doesn’t publish.
Reinstalled .2309 and all works.

One other thing I noticed. Building with .2314 was a lot slower. I have reinstalled it to measure it.
With .2309 a rebuild of the project takes about 13 seconds. With .2314, about 56 seconds.

@mh I forgot, trying to downgrade to .2309 from .2314 gives an error in the installer:

The Spanish part says, “Unable to create a file that already exists”
Uninstalling and installing again works.

On the other hand, looks like new project version names are coming, if needed :wink: “Sir Patrick Stewart to reprise Picard role in new Star Trek series. News comes at official Trek convention in Vegas; will be CBS All Access exclusive.”