Delphi Host App - WPF Visual Plugin - high DPI

Hello,

we have a Host Delphi App, which is compiled with Delphi 10.3.3.
In the manifest we have defined our app to be dpi aware: ‘Per Monitor V2’.
I examine the process using Task Manager, our app has the DPI-Awarness set to ‘Per-Monitor (v2)’.

Also in Delphi, when we move our app to a monitor that uses a different DPI scale the Dpi, the WM_DPICHANGED event is triggered.

WPF also offers a similar event: Window.DpiChanged. If I create a WPF window from within a Hydra .NET plugin and subscribe to this event, the event is never fired. We target .NET 4.8.

Also it seems that the Window/VisualPlugin are always using the DPI of the primary monitor.

For example my primary monitor is scaled at 150%. When I move the plugin to a monitor scaled at 100% (96 dpi), the plugin/window is too big. It remains scaled at 1.5.

We do not call any of the SetProcessDPIAware api’s. We just rely on the manifest.

Do you have any guidance on how to deal with high dpi scenarios for WPF Visual Plugins?

Is there DpiChanged event supposed to be triggered?

Thank you!

.NET Fx documentation is a bit vague (to say the least) on use cases like the one used in Hydra.

How exactly does your manifest look like? Do you load your WPF plugin in the default app domain or in a custom one?

@antonk
Here is the relevant part of our manifest:

<asmv3:application xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <asmv3:windowsSettings
         xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
      <dpiAware>true/PM</dpiAware>
      <dpiAwareness xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">PerMonitorV2, PerMonitor, System</dpiAwareness>
    </asmv3:windowsSettings>
  </asmv3:application>

We load our plugin in the default app domain.

Also we did test a standalone wpf with our manifest, and it worked as expected. That is why I don’t think that the manifest would have anything to do with it.

Thank you!

Hello

We are investigating is it possible to propagate manifest settings to a child-process like hosted .NET AppDomain.

However there are entries like these ones in the .NET Framework 4.8 Release Notes so it can be even a bug in the .NET Framework itself:

• Fixed WPF issue of not creating correctly-size rendertarget for mixed-mode child windows. Under certain circumstances, per-monitor DPI aware applications that host WPF based controls or plugins were not rendering the WPF window fully [646801, wpfgfx_v0400.dll, Bug, Build:3646
    *Fixed the issue of WPF Windows not scaling correctly. WPF windows that are parented under native HWND’s, including Windows Forms (using ElementHost), will correctly react to DPI changes and scale themselves appropriately when the dpiAwareness element in the application manifest is updated to “PerMonitorV2” value. [478267, PresentationCore.dll,wpfgfx_v0400.dll, Feature, Build:3673]]
  • When WPF is run in Per-Monitor Aware mode, controls hosted within HwndHost are not sized correctly after DPI changes (for e.g., when moving applications from one monitor to another). This fix ensures that controls hosted so are sized appropriately. On .NET Framework Versions 4.7.2 and older, applications must opt in to enable the fix by setting the AppContext switch ““Switch.System.Windows.DoNotUsePresentationDpiCapabilityTier2OrGreater”” to ““false””. This switch can be set either in the registry or in the application - see the documentation for AppContext (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.appcontext(v=vs.110).aspx). [646805, PresentationFramework.dll;PresentationCore.dll;WindowsBase.dll, Bug, Build:3673]

Hello @antonk,

have you been able to make some progress?
Would you mind sharing your findings so far?

Thank you!

Hello @antonk, hello @Santiago_Burbano,
did you found a solution for this? At the moment I have to turn off DIP awareness because it doesn’t work on multiple screens with different dpi scaling. However, this makes the application look very blurry.

many thanks!!

Could you try to load the WPF plugin into the default app domain to see if it makes a difference?

@sebastian.may
The issue is still open for us.