Documentation - Building A Database Driver

Could someone point me to the old documentation that used to be available for building your own custom database driver for DataAbstract. This would be from many years ago. I am trying to build a driver for Sybase ASA using the Liodden components for Sybase. We ended up buying the Enterprise version of Delphi Alexandria 11 and was able to connect to Sybase ASA 7 and Sybase ASA 17 using the Firebird components in Enterprise. Connections were both ODBC which I would like to stay away from. Nothing odd happening right now but we have just had bad experiences in trying to use ODBC for our production servers as a whole. Would rather get a direct connect. So therefore, I would like to try to write a Liodden version of the DataAbstract database driver for Sybase ASA. Years ago, a guy that worked for me did that but we were not using DA in production at that time. And the code was lost. So if anyone has the whereabouts of the How To Build A Database Driver anywhere, it would be most appreciated. Thanks. Bill Brittain.

Hi,

I’ll convert and update old article.
it will be accessible tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you Evgeny. Your company is always very responsive.

1 Like

Another question. Is there one of the existing drivers that I should look at as a close representation of what to build for Sybase ASA?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

You can read that article at How to create a Data Abstract Driver (Delphi)

We haven’t base driver for Sybase ASA so you should create it from scratch.
I can recommend to use shared methods from uDASybaseInterfaces.pas.
You can see usage of them in FireDAC, UniDAC, Zeos drivers

1 Like

Have read thru all the How To Create A Data Abstract Driver document on the website. And have taken the template provided and created our base driver for the Liodden Sybase ASA components. Ran into several stop points. So I have now looked thru the MySQL, Oracle, and FireDAC driver code in the DA Drivers area. Made copies of entire folder so I can pull code as needed for our driver. Have now got to the point where our dll compiles and has a base to begin with. Looking at the MySQL and Oracle interface examples gave me a lot of good information about how you are creating the Base driver and Base Connections for those types.

So now, after some creates the custom driver, how to do start the testing of connecting and how to show in the Schema Modeler? How do you get it added to DA itself?

Thanks ahead of time.

We have test connections with our Liodden NDB components already so we know we can connect to our database and pull data directly with NDB. I now want to begin the walk into our driver code to debug each section of the connection and then the query.

Hi,

compile .dad from .dpr with Delphi 2009+ and put it near to Schema Modeler (i.e. to C:\Program Files (x86)\RemObjects Software\Data Abstract (Common)\Bin folder)
that’s all

Compiled the project. Copied the DASybaseASADrv.dad file to the Common Bin folder. Pulled the Driver ( which I gave the Driver Id as Liodden ASA ) right up in the Schema Modeler. Cool.

Does not work but cool. I can start working out the ASASession properties to get it to connect to a running Database.

Thanks Evgeny. Very simple to get it to this point. Now the work begins.

Hi,

better to use LioddenASA (i.e. w/o spaces) instead of Liodden ASA