Does Elements support VS2022 already or not?

I downloaded and installed the latest Elements Preview, and it seems not supporting VS2022? There are no RemObjects project templates with VS2022 (after installing Elements)?

It has for months, even since Preview 1 was out. Do you not see VS2022 integration offered kin the installer? What Edition do you have installed?

The installer I use: Elements 11.0.0.2697
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2022 (64-bit) Version 17.0.2

The Elements installer has the option “Integrate with Visual Studio 2022 Preview”, but my VS 2022 is not a preview, does that matter?
2021-12-14_12-10-42

Sorry false alarm. The RemObjects Elements Visual Studio templates are there.

But I have another question - for any RemObjects Elements language, the WPF project doesn’t provide design view of the xaml?

It should not, I just have to change the string for the option, now that VS is out of preview; will fix for Friday :wink:

:raised_hands:t3:

It should for all 6 languages (well, 5, Go doesn’t do Classes), which you need for WPF. Which template/test case fails to show the designer for you?

Thank you.

I checked Oxygene and RemObjects C#. It seems neither of them having XAML design view.

Also, the XAML editor itself (for RemObjects Language) does not provide any IntelliSense? Or there is some config that I missed?

One last question not something critical but just curious - I have VisualAssistX installed which provides very nice color syntaxing for C# and C++. But VisualAssistX’s color syntaxing doesn’t work for RemObjects C# - is there a way to have a similar color syntaxing like Visual AssistX?

only in 2022? What edition.version?

it’s supposed to. I’ll get the VS team to have a look tomorrow.

Wed have to either work with them (if they are interested), or do it ourselves. what does it add?

I am not sure about other VS editions. The one I checked is VS 2022 17.0.2, for which RemObjects Oxygene/C# do not have XAML design view for WPF (.NET Core) project.

Probably I can try playing around the VS code editor settings to match. I’ll report back.

1 Like

Oh, Core. yeah I think the Core designers, WinForms and WPF, are still limited to VC# and VB, in VS2022 :(. Welcome to 2004. But I’ll check up on that to be sure.

Thank you marc

It would be nice that RemObjects Oxygene/C# support — NET core (NET 6) XAML design view and XAML IntelliSense, if they haven’t been so yet.

Looking forward to your feedback

1 Like

Yeah, if you could tell that to Microsoft… :wink:

:laughing:

I guess it is not easy due to some some technical hurdles set by MS? Hope it is not totally impossible.

In VS2019 it was completely locked down. this “if language Guid isn't VC# or VB then raise notSupportedRxception”-locked down. Even worse than back in 2005, when the WinForms designer wasn’t tested with third-party languages, and we found a million issues, but were able to work with MS to make it work. It’s a complete “you cant use this, we won’t let you”.

My colleague will recheck if that’s still the case in VS2022.

Any news on this?

Yeah, but not good news. It’s still hard-locked to only vc# and vb :frowning:

Sorry to hear that. I guess to use RemObjects C# and Oxygene in WPF/.NET 6 project - we would have no other choice but to do the “CodeFirst” way, without design view support?

I think for now the only best way to use the latest .NET Core (WinForm, and WPF), with my favorite RemObjects Elements Oxygene language, is

• Mix Visual C# and Oxygene, where Visual C# for front end (WinForm and XAML designer), and Oxygene for class libraries.

Or, any better practice?

I hate that, but that might be the best option. That, or using a non-Core (ie.4.x) project for the design, and share the files (say via a shared project)…

I guess - this is not the headache for RemObjects only.

JetBeans Rider - the .NET IDE recommended on MS official website - had also suffered from the issue. Check this: XAML Preview | JetBrains Rider

But I just checked - JetBeans Rider latest release now supports XAMAL preview now.

So I hope this (XAML and WinForm designer view) problem, could be resolved sometime in future, otherwise it is really a hindrance for people to adopt Elements (on Windows)

Is this something on the path of being resolved? Communicating with MS? Or MS completely shuts the door?