Dotnet core debugging

Hi,

In the latest breakpoints dont seem to be resolving.

I create a new .net core console and set a breakpoint on

writeLn(‘The magic happens here.’);

and I get this in the output

~> Process ConsoleApplication9 started
~> Trying to debug PID 1338
The magic happens here.
~> Process ConsoleApplication9 terminated with exit code 0

Cheers,
John

Did that work for you in 2459?

No it didn’t. It used to work at one point didn’t it ?

It did, yes. I’ve seen issues with breakpoints too that I’m due to investigate next week, but Carlo could not reproduce them, so we assumed it was a localized problem for me, but I guess it could be Windows vs Mac. I’ll try to give this top priority on Monday.

1 Like

already logged as 83557: .NET Core: Breakpoints dont resolve, btw.

Didn’t retest yet (next on my list), but should be fixed oin latest. you don’t need new Fire, just external compiler, as it turns out the issue wasn’t the debugger, but that the compiler stopped generating Portable PDB debug symbols when running on Mono, at some stage.

1 Like

No that doesnt seem to fix it.

there was 1 more issue I needed to fix. Should be fixed now but I’ll have to retest when I have a build.

Confirmed, fixed now.

I can also confirm its fixed.

1 Like

The locals window doesnt work, is that because I havent got a newer build of Fire ?

It just says “error getting locals” System.NullReference exception

I don’t expect so, coz all we fixed I the actual debug symbols inside the .pdb.

That said, I can repro your issue; logging.

Thanks, logged as bugs://83644

Fixed, but I’m not closing the issue yet because the fix is more an error-proofing around what really goes wrong (on Mac only) and I still wanna have the root cause investigated. But it’ll work in tomorrow’s build.

I attach to the issue with my problem. In the latest Fire I create new console app project and run but get error :

~> The process failed to start with the following error: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
~> Parameter name: path1
~>   at System.IO.Path.Combine (System.String path1, System.String path2) [0x00003] in <2978dc2b6099412f90677716ee4026f5>:0 
~>   at RemObjects.Oxygene.CoreDebugEngine.MIDebugEngine.Start () [0x000d0] in <5c7a7f214afb4935b35f9e32af1e2fb0>:0 
~>   at (wrapper native-to-managed) RemObjects.Oxygene.CoreDebugEngine.DebugEngine.Start(RemObjects.Oxygene.CoreDebugEngine.DebugEngine,System.Exception&)

Is that related with the problem described above?

It doesnt sound related, no :(.

what version of . NET Core do you have installed/are you using?

Oh, can can you open the Activity Window (via Window menu) and post the json s tippet that gets shown there when you run?

parameters {
  "SubMode": ".NETCore",
  "EnvironmentVariables": {
  },
  "Arguments": [
  ],
  "WorkingDirectory": "/Users/artur.redzko/Desktop/ConsoleApplication3/Bin/Debug",
  "Architecture": "x86_64",
  "CaptureOutput": true,
  "NetCoreRuntimeVersion": "3.0.0",
  "MonoExePathOverride": "/Applications/Fire.app/Contents/Resources/Mono/bin/mono",
  "UseMonoDebugger": false,
  "NetCore": true,
  "StrictBreakpoints": false,
  "CrossBox": "Local",
  "NetCoreRuntime": "Microsoft.NETCore.App",
  "Mode": "Echoes",
  "LocalExecutable": "/Users/artur.redzko/Desktop/ConsoleApplication3/Bin/Debug/ConsoleApplication3.dll",
  "RemoteExecutable": "/Users/artur.redzko/Desktop/ConsoleApplication3/Bin/Debug/ConsoleApplication3.dll"
}

I have all .net core versions along with VS for Mac installed. The project uses default 3.0.
The same project type run in VS Mac works fine.

Thanx. I’ll have tp log that for the debugger team to look at…