Edit different file types

Hi,
Is it possible to configure what file types Fire can open ?

I added a text file with an extension .template to a project but Im unable to view it. I would really like to be able to tell Fire that its ok to treat this an a regular text file.

Cheers,
John

Not currently, I’m afraid; the filetypes are hardcoded towhead eat as text, what as image, and what as otherwise supported or (the rest) as unknown files.

I’ll think about what I can do here; bit I don’t wanna open any (potential binary) file in the text editor…

What about if you had a menuitem like copy to output and I check it if I want to be able to edit it as a text file ?

I’ll probably do something along those lines, yes. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as it sounds, architecturally, because at that stage, the file type is already decided and a concrete class repressing the file and its type Is in play. SO this needs some thought and refactoring.

A custom list of file extensions to be treated as text would be easier to do…

I think I prefer the former and would rather wait for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont suppose we are any close to a custom list of extensions ? :slight_smile:

defaults write com.remobjects.Fire KnownTextFileExtensions -string ".template;.abx;.def"

in vNext

1 Like

I tried with the latest build from firehose but it doesn’t seem to work.

I did

defaults write com.remobjects.Fire KnownTextFileExtensions -string “.metadata”

and then I have a project with a file using that extension

Hmm. if you do defaults read com.remobjects.Fire, is the setting there, among all the others?

It looks like starting Fire removes it. I do a read after the write and its shown. If I start Fire and then do read again its missing.

hmm. I recall having similar issues in the past. it seems defaults write is having problems :(.

Sigh. for me it doesnt work any all anymore

➜  Cherry:~/Code/Elements git:(develop) # defaults read com.remobjects.Fire|grep Test
    DefaultNewProjectLocation = "/Users/mh/Test Projects";
➜  Cherry:~/Code/Elements git:(develop) # defaults write com.remobjects.fire Test -string "x" 
➜  Cherry:~/Code/Elements git:(develop) # defaults read com.remobjects.Fire|grep Test         
    DefaultNewProjectLocation = "/Users/mh/Test Projects";
➜  Cherry:~/Code/Elements git:(develop) # 

:frowning: