Elements for microcontrollers

I’ve read somewhere that Elements might be used for programming microcontrollers, but I can’t find anything about it on the RemObjects site. I’m not wedded to any particular microcontroller platform, but I would like to use one of the Elements languages and I like the Visual Studio environment (but would be happy to use Water if more appropriate).

Is there some material I can read about using Elements and Visual Studio for programming microcontrollers? In particular what is necessary to get started. Thanks!

1 Like

OK, no programming microcontrollers.

Thanks anyway! :grinning:

Steve,

My apologies for the delayed response.

We have quite a bit of coverage for IoT, depending on what your target CPUs are. Jon covered some of this a while back in this blog post: Elements for IoT and Embedded. In particular, you should b good with anything running an embedded Linux (such as Raspberry Pi’s), and Android-based systems. We don’t currently hav support for lower-level systems without at least a Linux (or Windows) base OS, I’m afraid.

—marc

Ah, I’m sorry! I didn’t find that blog post. My bad.

Right now I was looking at stuff a bit lower down the ladder than embedded Linux, but this is very useful to know. Thanks again, marc.

1 Like

Any time!

I have done quite a bit of work with Oxygene embedded system applications for .Net Core on BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi boards, using the libsimpleio and libremoteio library assemblies published to NuGet. See https://github.com/pmunts/libsimpleio for more information. The Visual Studio project templates there make it really easy to create a .Net Core 3.1 embedded system application.

See also MuntsOS (https://github.com/pmunts/muntsos), an extremely reduced Linux distribution that allows you to use a BeagleBone or Raspberry Pi board as a microcontroller. MuntsOS includes a .Net Core 3.1 runtime extension package for BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi 2/3/4 boards.

I’ve also done some research with Elements Island applications using libsimpleio and running on desktop Linux or MuntsOS, but that hasn’t been published yet.

3 Likes

Hey, Philip, this is fantastic - incredibly useful information. I should say that I’ve got an enormous amount to learn, but this is a great start.

Thank you - I’m delighted!

1 Like