Feedback on autocomplete in Silver for Visual Studio

I’m definitely looking forward to trying your Windows IDE release (Water?).

In the meantime, I’m trying to use Silver in Visual Studio. The editor experience needs some polish.

I feel like autocomplete likes to fight with me. It doesn’t sort or prioritize items as intelligently as VS’s autocomplete. For example, if you type “self.” the autocomplete will change it to “Self.” with a capital S which is an error. I could give you many examples like that. I think most of the issues boil down to how autocomplete sorts or prioritizes entries. Autocomplete should prioritize locals over globals. It should prioritize variables over types (depending on the context). About having global variables and types in the list, this probably causes more problems than it solves. All those global entries tend get in the way.

What I’m asking for: give some love to autocomplete for those of use stuck using Visual Studio.

BTW, it’s impossible to turn off autocomplete in build 10.0.0.2255. The setting is ignored. As a result, I’m having to press Esc all the time.

Or those who simply prefer it (sorry) and/or use other MS tools as well as Elements and prefer not to have to context switch.

1 Like