Fire, always scrollbars, and not scrolled to top on new opened file

In Fire I always see scrollbars and, when I open an other file, it’s not scrolled to the top, resulting in not seeing the first line (until I scroll to correct that).

I’m using an iMac 21", standard screen (not scaled) and font settings, running latest Catalina.

To be fair, I see this in some (not all) other apps also, like Querious, of which the author told me this is a bug in macOS. Is this something that can be fixed?

I believe this is an OS setting and/or might depend on your pointing device type. As var as I can tell, for me Fire behaves like any other scrollable Mac app (and for me, with trackpad and default settings, shows the scroller sonly while scrolling).

Curious. does this happen with a fresh project, or just an existing one? Fire should persist the LAST scrolling position when re-opening files. Can you try deleting the .fire.user and .fire.cache files next to your solution, while Fire is closed, and then reload it?

Very odd — first I’m ever heating of this…

I’m not using anything special. Just a “normal” wired mouse and keyboard.

I’ve deleted those (after first closing Fire) and then opened the project again. Same problem.

When I add a new code file, I have the same problem. I have to first scroll to the top otherwise I don’t see what I’m typing on the first line.

Yeah, I’m good at being the first with problems … :wink:

Just tried some other editors like:

• Mail
  • Yojimbo
  • TextEdit
  • Bear

These don’t have this problem.

The mouse might ben it, if it’s not a Magic Mouse or detected as supporting scrolling. How is this “Show scroll bars” setting set for you?

Very strange. When you switch between two files in your solution and go back to the first one, does it scrolls to the bottom again or does it persist where you scrolled it to last before?

:wink:

It’s related to the mouse. I did disconnect my wired Logitech mouse and instead I used the Magic Mouse. Then the problem is fixed, although I prefer to used the wired one (better tracking).

Yes, if I scroll to the top in file 1, select file 2 and then go back to file 1, it’s again not scrolled to the top.

That also only width the other mouse connected?

very weird. FWIW, I cannot reproduce tis the I set “always show”. I get the scrollbars always (of course), but the edit still behaves as expected… It’s a standard NSScrollView, fwiw.

I suppose I need to try and get my hands on a Logitech mouse and try and reproduce this here… What’s the exact model you are using? does it have a scroll wheel?

I’ve tried with a code file that’s longer than the vertical size of the editor. If I scroll to, let’s say the end, and I later come back, that scroll position is restored. For all mouses including the Logitech.

So the problem is only obvious when in a small file or when starting with a new one.

I have 2 Logitech mouses; one wired “M 100” and one BlueTooth “MX AnyWhere 2S”. Both have scroll wheels. Both have the same experience.

So, it does only seem to work ok with a Magic Mouse or a Trackpad (which I also tried).

Reproduced. this is freaky:

just toggling the option moves the editor’s first line out of sight (and back)

Thanks, logged as bugs://84905

I know whats going on. in macOS, the cordite system starts at the lower left corner, not the upper left. The editor for a small size is sized to match then content area, and scrolled to position 0/0 (coz there’s nothing to scroll to). b ut with the scroll bars visible, the actual content area is smaller, so the view gets scrolled up so 0/0 is still visible in the bottom left corner — but that means the top is now scrolled out of view.

So that’s 8why* this happens. How to fix it — that I’ll need to research…

What’s a day without a challenge … :slight_smile:

NB: For now I set the setting to “When scrolling”, which solves it for me (with Logitech mouse).

1 Like

Cool. probably the “correct” option to use anyways, the problem seems to be that macOS doesn’t properly detect the right mode for your mouse.

That said, I ofc do wanna fix this.