Fire doesn't see any Android devices

I just discovered Silver, which seems like a really cool concept. Unfortunately, when building a simple Hello World application, I cannot get it to see my Android devices.

I’ve both connected a physical device, and created a virtual one, both of which appear in Android Studio:

My physical device also appears in adb:

Fire is set up thusly:

And yet only “Android Device” shows up in the list:

Resulting in this error message:

What am I doing wrong here?

Silly question: Have you enabled Developer mode, allowed unknown apps and enabled USB debugging on the device in question ?

Developer mode, USB debugging: Yes.

Unknown apps: I assume you mean the “Unknown Sources” checkbox in the security prefs? I tried turning that on, but it didn’t seem to change anything:

I am able to connect to the device via Android Studio; it is only Fire that doesn’t see it. Additionally, it is not only the physical device that doesn’t appear in Fire; there is also a virtual device that I created in Android Studio which does not appear in Fire either.

Curious. is this with 9.3 RTM? I’ll have a more detailed look tomorrow. if the device shows in “adb devices”, it should show in Fire…

Well, that depends a bit on your point of view!

According to the About panel, it’s 9.3.103.2211:

However, according to the Finder, it’s 8.2:

It looks like the compiler was built on Bajor, so perhaps non-linear time is involved. Hopefully this won’t get my computer possessed by Bob.

yeah, that is 9,3 RTM. I’ll have a look later today if i can repro, and if not, what we can do to narrow this down. my apologies for the trouble.

Anything I can do to help, any logs I can send, etc.? This seems like it would be the Holy Grail for writing cross-platform iOS/Android apps, if it worked.

My apologies, I had gotten totally bogged down on other stuff. I’ll check today if it repros here (if so, thats a recent regression); if it doesn’t, we’ll need to think about how to narrow the issue down on your system…

Confirmed :(. this is a regression in 9.3. Working on a fix now…

Fixed. Unfortunately it will be a bit tricky to roll this out as a 9.3 patch, so if at all possible I’d like to give you access to the Elements 10 beta and send you a new build of that. Do you have an account on remobjects,.com yet?

Would that be the same account that I’m using to log into this forum?

Yeah, the one you log in with on http://secure.remobjects.com (which might not match there name I see here in the forums, unfortunately).

Got it. I’m preparing a build for you now. Unfortunately, I just found a small bug in the v10 compiler that prevents Android apps from building (will be fixed for Friday’s beta), which makes this workaround a bit more complicated, but doable.

You’ll want to use there Fire v1 beta build I’m uploading for you, but also install the 9.3 external command line compiler, and configure Fire to just that as described here. That way, you can build with the stable 9.3 release of the compiler, but you get the fixed IDE. (Note that because v10 is in very early alpha/beta, there’ll be quite a few rough edges still, for example with Code Completion; this will get started out again over the next few weeks, but at least this version of the IDE should let you deploy to your device.

Let me know how it goes, I’ll ping you again here when the build is up (in your personal downloads here), should be In 30 minutes or so

up now.

Hi, I have the same problem, did you find the way to roll out a patch ? I really would appreciate
help with this because I would like to start using fire. :fire:

This is fixed for v10, but there’s currently no plan to roll this back into a 9.3 update, as the Fire code base has diverged too much to make this an easy back-port, and we’ll have stable v10 releases out soon, anyways (more on that in a blog post next week). If you don’t currenty have beta access, i can send you a Fire v10 build tomorrow. What’s your login name on remobjects.com?

thanx,
marc

thanks mh, fifillomx.

Hi mh, I know you are probably pretty busy, I just wanted to remind you about the Fire v10 beta build in case you forgot.

My apologies for the delay. We just published a new build, and I’ve uploaded it for to https://secure.remobjects.com/portal/downloads/personal.

no worries, and thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like