Fire stuck on startup

I wanted to try how the new androidx replacement for appcompat library works with Google Play Services and Fire .2415.

I created an empty Android app from Fire template, closed Fire, opened .elements file in TextEdit and added the following references to it, apart from android.jar, cooper.jar and swift.jar which were added by Fire:

<ItemGroup>
    <Reference Include="android" />
    <Reference Include="swift">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </Reference>
    <Reference Include="cooper">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </Reference>
    <GradleReference Include="androidx.appcompat:appcompat:*">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </GradleReference>
    <GradleReference Include="androidx.constraintlayout:constraintlayout:*">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </GradleReference>
    <GradleReference Include="com.google.android.gms:play-services-base:*">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </GradleReference>
    <GradleReference Include="com.google.android.gms:play-services-basement:*">
      <Private>True</Private>
    </GradleReference>
</ItemGroup>

I then closed TextEdit and tried to open the project with Fire, but it didn’t move past this screen:

I had to use Force Quit to kill it. I then removed the androidx and Google Play Services references but nothing changed, Fire was still stuck on above screen. When I tried to open the project from initial splash screen then It was stuck with the splash screen, rather than screen above.

To make matters worse, now I can’t load any project, even the ones that didn’t contain the potentially problematic references and opened without issues until now.

Thinking it might have something to do with rebuilding/downloading Gradle packages I tried deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/RemObjects Software/EBuild/Packages/Gradle folder but nothing changed.

Is there anything else I can reset or delete to make things work again?

Can you send me the whole .sln as it is?

references_issue.zip (71.9 KB)

1 Like

Sadly, doesn’t repro here, it opens fine:

So what can I do? Is there a way to completely uninstall Fire? What are other folders Fire uses, I assume deleting from Applications is not enough? Should I also completely uninstall Android Studio and SDK?

Please help me if you can, because I’m stuck until I resolve this.

Update: It works if I run Fire as sudo. Are you running it as a regular user?

Update 2: After I started Fire as sudo, I was again able to load projects as regular user.

My user is Admin (as the default user open macOS usually is) but i still haver to do “sudo” in Terminal when accessing root stuff; i run Fire normally under the user w/o that, ofc.

So after running via sudo once, it now works ok when you run it normally, and there’s no scenario in which the hang reproduces? If so, good for you, but damn, we might never find out what the issue was. Maybe some file had bad access rights (i can try to simulate that and see what happens). Did Fire itself stay responsive while the solution didn’t load, or was all of Fire “hung” and unresponsive?

Thanx!

Nope, that’s not it. A (project) file I’m not allowed to read just gives me

but the rest of the project loads clean :(.

Fire hung and was unresponsive. I don’t understand why something like that would happen after adding a few gradle references. Is it possible that some folder privileges were changed somewhere when Fire tried to add new references to the /Packages/Gradle folder?

I will try to reproduce it again tomorrow.

1 Like