Hydra Licenses Invalid Pointer?

I’m setting up new machine to work on an existing c# project that uses hydra. When building the project in visual studio 2019 I get the following error:

'Could not load file or assembly 'RemObjects.Hydra.Host, Version=4.0.75.1103, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3df3cad1b7aa5098' or one of its dependencies. Invalid pointer (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER))'

Using the license manger application I can confirm a license is installed and my licenses.licx file contains the following line:
RemObjects.Hydra.ModuleManager, RemObjects.Hydra.Host, Version=4.0.75.1103, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3df3cad1b7aa5098

Any help would be appreciated.

Wow. invalid Pointer usually points (pun not intended) to some deep corruption in then.NET runtime. Does this happen for every build, every project? VS or command line (or both)? What compiler (VC#, VB, or Elements?)

Thanks for the response,
Target framework is .net 4.5.2. I’ve only tried building in VS and it’s VC#. Other projects not using Hydra compile and run with no issues.

It’s very curious. I also just notice the version of Hydra you are using is rather old; can you see if the issue persists with the latest?

Interesting. Upon installing the trial of the latest version the error changed to:

'Could not load file or assembly 'RemObjects.Hydra.Host, Version=4.0.75.1103, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3df3cad1b7aa5098' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)' UI_WinForms C:\Users\brian\source\repos\SmartSuite Cloud 6.5\UI_WinForms\LC

When I uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled the old version (4.0.75.1103) the invalid pointer error does not reappear. Instead I have the same error as above: Operation is not supported.

I have a colleague running the same version VS (2019) and Hydra (4.0.75.1103). They are able to build the project successfully ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

That makes a bit of sense (if the error seems obscure): your .licx file probably still has the old version hardcoded. Can you try dropping the version info it, and do a clean Rebuild, and see if that fixes it?
Ie each line of the file should just have

Classname, RemObjects.Hydra.Host

not

Classname, RemObjects.Hydra.Host, version=XXX, Signature-YYY, ...

Same(ish) error:

'Could not load file or assembly 'RemObjects.Hydra.Host' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)'	UI_WinForms	C:\Users\brian\source\repos\SmartSuite Cloud 6.5\UI_WinForms\LC		

I don’t have a folder named LC in my project, Neither does my colleague. Unclear where that bit is coming from.

LC is a Tool from the .NET platform, the License Compiler. You should have a .licx file in your project; that is then one that needs adjustment.

If this does not help, I’m afraid I might have to pass this too my colleague on Monday.

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification. I have a licenses.licx file in my project with the following line in it:

RemObjects.Hydra.ModuleManager, RemObjects.Hydra.Host

Hmm, that looks perfect. I’m not sure why it’s till looking for the 4.0 dll then; I’m afraid. I’ll need to leave this to Monday for my colleague who has more experience with this area, sorry :frowning:

Hello

These scary

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER))

and

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

are the usual ‘build failed on some phase’ messages.

From what I see the failing stage is the .NET license compiler that takes a licenses.licx file and converts it into a compiled license file.

The first step is to delete obj and bin subfolders in your project folders. VS loves to cache thigs there and does not always recompile resources like .licx files

Then make sure that there no more than one licenses.licx file in each of your projects. also please make sure that youe licenses.licx files contain lines like

RemObjects.Hydra.ModuleManager, RemObjects.Hydra.Host

ie without explicit version info like here:

RemObjects.Hydra.ModuleManager, RemObjects.Hydra.Host, Version=4.0.75.1103, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3df3cad1b7aa5098

Then make sure that your project files contain references to Hydra assemblies without mentioning explicit version.

Note that after you installed latest trial build still required 4.0.75.1103 for some reason.

After these steps you should have a working build.

1 Like

If the build still fails then could you send us to support@ the error you get and the failing project (only project file itself and its .licx file, no actual code needed)?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. After following your instructions step by step the build still fails. I’ll be sending an email with the project shortly. Thanks again.

1 Like