Is it possible to unbind keys in Water?

(Marko Zubin) #1

So on some keyboards the right “Alt” key is labeled “Alt Gr” and (while it seems like it’s possible to diferentiate, many programs can’t) pressing it is like pressing “ctrl+alt”.

Now to type { the combination on my specific keyboard is “Alt Gr+B” which does the same thing as if I pressed “Ctrl+Alt+B”. This is of course the combination that shows the build log in Water.

This basically results in being unable to write a { without switching the keyboard layout to english. (which moves the { to the same key as on english keyboards, but messes up everything else)

I realize people that use english keyboard layouts don’t know about this and it shows as a whole lot of IDE’s have a similar problem. I usually get arround it by changing (or disabling) those key bindings, but I can’t seem to find an option to do so in Water.

Is it possible to do it and am I just missing something or are those combinations hardcoded?

Thanks

(marc hoffman) #2

Marko,

Curious. I need to admit that it’s been a decade or more since i used a German keyboard on anything, probably longer for Windows, so I;m unfamiliar with Alt Gr vs regular Alt. I’ll need to do some research how WPF handles these.

I take yet would be fine if Alt+<whatever> keeps working as is, as long as AltGr+<whatever> would pass thru as a regular keypress and type a letter, right?

Right now, there’s no option to override key bindings, I’m afraid, no. I’ll need to fox this by handling Alt Gr properly.

yours,
marc

(RemObjects) #3

Thanks, logged as bugs://81931

(marc hoffman) #4

Initial research shows that it won’t be possible, it seems AltGr is indistinguishable from Alt+Ctrl :(. Guess I’ll just have to rework the keyboard scheme in general to accommodate for that :(.

A shame, because on Windows I’m already one key down over Mac (Ctrl vs Command) in terms of shortcut flexibility :(.

(marc hoffman) #5

I’ve changed the handful for Ctrl+Alt+Letter shortcuts to alternatives (Ctrl+Alt+ or Ctrl+Shift) for 2373 and later — please let me know if this works better for you.

If you’d like, I can send you a new interim build later today.

yours,
marc

(Marko Zubin) #6

Thanks but considering I’m using the free community license I don’t feel it would be right. I’ll just wait for the next release or when I manage to save enough money for a full license.

Much appreciated though.

(marc hoffman) #7

Na, no worries. I’ve uploaded a new build for you to Personal Downloads.

yours,
marc

(Marko Zubin) #8

Thank you. It makes a big difference in usability.