Island: DEBUG config working fine, RELEASE config all access violations

Island/Windows, Latest Build 2482, as of Today.

The test project for my TensorFlow-Island project runs fine with DEBUG config, but generated all kinds of access violation under RELEASE config.

To replicate, clone the repository https://github.com/wxinix/TensorFlow-Island and run Test project, under RELEASE config

Apology for not able to provide a simpler test project, but I really need your help. This compiler stuff is beyond my expertise. @ck @mh

Note that an AV does not necessarily constitute a compiler bug (eve if specific to an optimization level). Any chance I can trouble you to narrow down what actually crashes, first?

thanx,
marc

Understand. What baffles me is - the DEBUG config does NOT give any AVs. Only RELEASE config does. The last time I had this type of errors was when I worked with FORTRAN - long time ago for old time’s sake. :open_mouth:

The crashes happened at a list of locations accessing arrays. But again, this only happens with RELEASE config. Source codes are the same (and no conditional compiling).

It’s entirely possible to have a bug in code that gets hidden by not optimizing. (it’s also entirely possibly that this is a compiler bug, of course).

@ck

I created a smaller test project, removing unrelated stuff. Hope this would make it easier for you to replicate the issue: that is, DEBUG config runs fine, RELEASE config gives access violation.

The test project can be downloaded from here - many thanks.
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6147121_09656321_166552

1 Like

Thanks, logged as bugs://83934

Thanks! It really seems to be something in test. Which is curious. Everything else works. Enabling any form of debug fixes it too.

We narrowed it down a bit more. If you add [used] to the test methods it works. Obviously this isn’t the solution but can serve as a workaround.

iT’s a compiler issue yes; i’ll be trying to fix it soon.

bugs://83934 got closed with status fixed.