Island — Native Windows and Linux in Elements 8.4

Ok, so we have made the first beta of Elements 8.4 available, and understandably, "Island" is the new feature you are most excited and want to hear more about.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://blogs.remobjects.com/2016/05/23/island/
3 Likes

OK, so this is probably a silly question. But now that Island is here, how far away are we from having a Delphi-like product? I mean a drag-‘n’-drop GUI designer, plus some code, which compiles to a standard-looking Win32 GUI application?

Probably, Remobjects would not touch any UI area in island.
I think it is for system programming.

For now, If you want best GUI windows program experience, You should choose .NET

Exactly.

OK, that’s fine - thanks for clarifying it. I’m happily using .NET for my GUI stuff, so it’s business as usual.

Any ETA yet for the Darwin target?

Not yet. Out of curiosity, what’s your concrete goal for Darwin that can’t be accomplished with our Toffee (i.e. Cocoa) target already?

Nothing specific right now, just want to play with it. :wink:

1 Like

Hello, I’m just curious why you chose to develop Fire in RemObjects C# rather than Oxygene?

mainly because at the time C# was new, and i wanted a good and large real-life project to put it thru it’s paces.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Marc. Yeah, I was surprised because I don’t see anything in C# better than Oxygene. I’m a C# developer, but I really like the look of Oxygene, having developed in Delphi many years ago, what you guys have done is awesome. Is there any chance you can make it work in Android Studio? I’ve built some apps in Xamarin, but Android Studio is moving way ahead of Visual Studio and Xamarin Studio for Android development. I’m now using Kotlin, but if Oxygene worked in Android Studio I would definitely prefer it as my development language.

1 Like

i couldn’t agree more.

i see Elements has very good backend but somehow the ide toolchain is not what i want to ise.

for example, for java i want to use gradle.
it saids it is supported but somehow it is hard to use.

for mac , i cannot enjoy to type in Korean language.

i hope andrpid stuido too.
but preferably vs code or atom

this will cover linux, windows, mac
for mobile development.

1 Like