Latest and DNX

I noticed that the latest has stuff like

ASP.NET 4.5 and 5 templates (DNX) and support for xproj

Does that mean proper dnx support is coming ?

Indeed. Itā€™s a work in progress though. I suggest waiting until at least the asp.net rc2 is out.

1 Like

Will it also be supported in Fire ?

Last time I checked, Microsoftā€™s .NET implementation for Mac was still completely useless and totally academic (you could not even run the simplest of .exes). Has this changed recently? I was going to give it at least another few months before even bothering to check againā€¦

I donā€™t know. All I have done is run through the rc1 c# examples. I wasnā€™t going to really get into it until I could use oxygene.

Now that rc2 is out when we be able to use this with elements and in particular Fire ?

Canā€™t say. iā€™ll need to have a look at whether it actually works now. Iā€™ll try to add that to the list for 8.4.

fwiw I had a quick look at creating a DNX ASP.NET Core app a couple of months ago, with .NET Core RC1 as I think it was then, and it all worked smoothly.

I have to say it was quite a surreal (and a strangely enjoyable) experience, using VS Code and running an ASP.NET app ā€˜nativelyā€™ on a Mac. Part of the enjoyment I think was the ā€œcharmā€ factor. It took me back ā€¦mumbleā€¦ years to the level of tooling tech available when I was first starting out in this business, when the command line still ruled.

The past is a charming place to visit, but I wouldnā€™t want to go back there to live. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having used Visual Studio for a while, Fire and to some extent Visual Code are a breath of fresh air. I have recent exposure to node and while I liked the tooling support, I didnā€™t think much of javascript.

A Fire based environment to develop .net core applications using Oxygene would be my sweet spot.

I canā€™t print what I think about Javascript due to the lack of age restrictions on these forums. :wink:

I was never a huge fan, but the tipping point for me was when Automatic Semicolon Insertion contrived to (silently!) break some AngularJS code I was working on, costing me the best part of a day to figure out what was going on.

Grrrrr.

1 Like

They appear to have release v1 today.

I dont suppose there is any news ?

Last time i checked it still sucked ass. That was less than a month ago.

Could you give a more detailed explanation ?

Its occupying top spot on my wishlist.

Like, it still canā€™t just compile and run a simple .exe project.

Do you mean missing classes or things just arenā€™t working on your machine ?

I had a hard time working out how to add references and the class libraries I was using took a while to appear. Otherwise I was really impressed being able to do queries against sql server from my mac.

So your saying your in a holding pattern until some point in the future ?

Yes. FTR, Iā€™ve also heard word from people high up inside the company that I talked to when I ws in SF last week, that the current .NET Core 1.0 is a legacy thing they needed to keep pushing out because too much work/promise was put into it to just scrap it, but that itā€™s very broken, and the future its with the Mono-based runtime, for non-Windows targets, and not with this thing.

As it stands, weā€™re not currently planning to support the current .NET Core, but of course weā€™ll keep keeping an eye in where it goes.

:frowning:

Iā€™ve always been under the impression that mono sucked.

Its hard to take in because of the amount of interest .net core seems to be getting.

Without Mono,thereā€™d be no Fire.

fwiw - I was initially quite excited by .NET Core (OK, maybe just ā€œinterestedā€ would be nearer the mark). It appeared to be a brave move motivated by a genuine concern to create something viable for the future. i.e. by explicitly breaking ties with the wider .NET platform. Which is what made it distinct from mono.

But that was RC1. Since then they have back-pedaled significantly on that idea which means that either the aims of the projects have since been hijacked from within OR that they simply couldnā€™t deliver on the technical side.

Either way, it now appears to be little more than a.n.other implementation of the .NET runtime and I donā€™t quite see how or why it is needed when there is already mono.

1 Like

Would it be possible to use the compiler and generate assemblies myself ?