Nullable HasValue not working

The compiler does not recognize a nullable can be inspected with HasValue

private void SomeFunc(int? nullableInt)
{
if (!nullableInt.HasValue) return;

}

Nullable are proper nullable on Elementals, you will want to check for != null, and you can access their value directly if they aren’t null.

Hi!

Thanks for the quick answer, I applied that change already, but wanted to know if this was a design on Elementals or a bug.

The context is we have a c# project that generates a library that we use on a game in Unity. I need to run that same library on our backend in Java, so I’m on the process of evaluate solutions and found your product.

It would be nice to have a list of differences between regular C# and Elementals implementation, so it is not a surprise. According to this page:https://docs.elementscompiler.com/Hydrogene/CSharpEvolution/ you support 7.1 but so far I found this is different and also how event is treated as List.

I Would appreciate if you have a consolidated diff.

Thanks!
/Simon

I believe this is the only major/relevant difference (aside from additive extensions). The background is that in or C# nullables work as they have in our other languages, before we added C#, in that ideally you should see no different using a nullable value type and a (nullable by default) reference, and how you interact with them. See Nullability.

I’ll make a point to cover this difference in Language Extensions

I need to update the Evolution age to match the latest. We support quite a few 8.x features as well, but I’m not fully caught up with exact status; I’ll get that updated.

Can you elaborate on this? I’m not aware of an (intentional) difference with how .NET events work in our C# vs VC#, so this might be a bug.

Hi!

On regular .NET you can do:

public event ChangeDelegate OnChange;

private void SomeFunction()
{
   OnChange?.Invoke();
}

This will not compile on Fire because OnChange gets interpreted as a List. So only way to make it work is to do a foreach loop or use a lambda expression.

No member "Invoke" on type "java.util.ArrayList<ChangeDelegate>"

I’m using RTL.

Thanks!
/Simon

Oh, on Java. That makes sense

I believe “.Invoke” is an implementation station detail for how events are handled on the . NET platform, as that is not the standard way to invoke them, as far as I recall — you would just call OnChange(), no?

We try to duplicate features — such as events — across platforms as we can, but the internal implementation details may vary. I would not consider 'Invoke` part of the C# *language spec of how events work. On .NET it will work, even from RemObjects C#, as it;'s a platform detail.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

1 Like