Output of a .net core console app

Hi,

I was looking at the output of a .net core console app

Echoes.dll (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Echoes.dll)
             Echoes.dll.mdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Echoes.dll.mdb)
             Echoes.pdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Echoes.pdb)
             Elements.dll (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Elements.dll)
             Elements.dll.mdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Elements.dll.mdb)
             Elements.pdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Elements.pdb)
             NetConsoleApplication (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication)
             NetConsoleApplication.deps.json (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication.deps.json)
             NetConsoleApplication.dll (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication.dll)
             NetConsoleApplication.pdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication.pdb)
             NetConsoleApplication.runtimeconfig.dev.json (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication.runtimeconfig.dev.json)
             NetConsoleApplication.runtimeconfig.json (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/NetConsoleApplication.runtimeconfig.json)
             Newtonsoft.Json.dll (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Newtonsoft.Json.dll)
             Newtonsoft.Json.pdb (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Newtonsoft.Json.pdb)
             Newtonsoft.Json.xml (/Users/JohnMoshakis/Documents/develop/Nougat/Moshine.Api.Weather.Samples/NetConsoleApplication/Bin/Debug/Newtonsoft.Json.xml)

There is NetConsoleApplication.dll and NetConsoleApplication. What is the purpose of the one without the extension ?

In deps.json I see this

"NetConsoleApplication/1.0.0": {
  "type": "project",
  "serviceable": false,
  "sha512": ""
},

Cheers,
John

Remember when you complained that VC# generated a native .exe stub, and we didn’t? That’s that :wink:

I like to complain but that wasnt me this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should the file have execute permission ? I add that and I can now do ./ConsoleApplication

Ah, I though it was you, sorry. Probably was Patrick then. Re executable: indeed, that should be set. I’ll check/fix.

Could this one be fixed ?

On my list, yes

Fixed.

1 Like

Yes, it was me!
But no exe is output for a WPF application…

For .NET Core 3? What’s your OutputType?

.NET Core 3.1.1.
Binary type is WinExe.

Ah, missed that one; will fix; workaround: set it to Executable.

In this case, the console window is still displayed.