Raspberry Pi support?

Will Oxygene work with Mono on the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks,

Mike

If mono runs on the RP than yes you can program in Oxygene for it…

1 Like

Mono almost works on the RPI; they’re working on getting soft/hard float working (last i heard it would be done “soon”)

Almost 5 years later, things have quite changed for the better.

Mono 4.8 or newer, downloaded from its own APT repository, works like a breeze. Now there’s even a Raspbian-optimized distribution.
http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-lin-raspbian

Latest Raspbian (Stretch) with latest Mono (5.4.0.201) works best, but Mono 4.8 on Raspbian Jessie worked too, as did any version in between.

Just my two cents, not much to correct you @ck but to give some useful info to future readers of this post.

Best regards
Ric

1 Like

Also, we now support Linux/arm natively as well, with Island.

And for Pi 2 & 3 there is also the possibility to use Windows for IoT
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/getstarted

We are doing a project right now using a Rpi Compute Module to drive a robotic instrument and we use Mono on Raspbian.
All written in Oxygene, it works very well!

The native part is great, but tbh having the full .NET framework at your disposal is very nice as well.

2 Likes

I work with RPI and lazarus today. Just for curiosity, theres .NET libraries for access to GPIO? SPI?

Absolutely!

We also used our own Bus system that uses a FTDI rs-485 USB chip to talk to our bus…
I created a nice OO .net wrapper for the FTDI chip a couple of years ago and I was able to use it on Linux without changes…

(Mono has a nice Interop “hack” that replaces .dll with .so when you reference an unmanaged dll)

For the GUI we used GTK#.

We created our own board for the RPI Compute Module 3

This board has a Super-Cap based emergency power supply on board, and some scripts on the RPI to initiate a shutdown when then main power goes off… That way we make sure that the SD card gets not corrupted.

1 Like